Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Grade 1

I have been asked to move to Grade 1 next year and feel very unsure about it. I like working in reception and enjoy working with the foundation stage curriculum. The Head likes people to move around and cannot accept why some teachers like to stay with the same year group. I love this sight and it has helped me a lot and would only feel happy if there was a sight like this for grade 1 teachers. If i had problems then i know i would get some good advice. Any advice about my dilema would be appreciated.

Hi Rocket

What are the implications if you refuse to move?

Working in a place where we feel most comfortable often means we are better motivated and do a better job. It seems a shame to move if you feel happiest in the reception year.

Good luck, hope it works out for you :)

Sue

Rocket, you could look at this as an opportunity to take FS into KS1. Although you talk about grade 1, I presume you mean this!?

It is nice to develop your expertise but it is also good to see where the children are going to, although I dont agree with moving for movings sake. Can you not tell your head how you feel?

Good luck.

Hi Rocket

Personally I think that moving around the different age ranges and from foundation stage to key stage 1/2 is an interesting challenge. It has kept me fresh and on my toes. I would hate to be stuck with one age group for a number of years. I like the challenge - yes it can be quite nerve wracking and scary and I can understand why you would want to stay in reception . I moved from teaching juniors to teaching reception, something which I never thought I would want to do. An opportunity fell in to my lap and I took it. I found it quite refreshing, loved the challenge and I was surprisingly very happy with the litte ones. I also think it depends on the kind of person you and what you want at this point in your life etc.

Have you tried out the tes forums - they are very interesting and there is a section for primary teachers.

Hope everything works out for the best.

Hi Rocket

I advise buying 'Smooth Transistions building on the Foundation Stage' - you'll find info about it in the resources bit of this site. It is really easy to read and should make you think wow teaching 5 and 6 year olds won't be that bad. If your school takes FS into Year 1 then you will find that initially it won't be that different.

I came down from Y2 to Year 1 and throughly enjoyed my time there.

Feel free to contact me if you need any tips. Good luck on whatever your decision is. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)