Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Free Flow Outside In Yr - How Do You Do It?

I've only got 14 children but in a tiny classroom, so we really need to use our outdoor area but I'm finding it really hard not to end up with 13 children outside with me and just 1 inside with TA!

For the first 2 weeks, when they were only in mornings, we had two groups of 7 - one inside and one out and then we changed over for session 2. Since they started staying all day we've tried to offer them free choice of indoor or outdoor activities but all the boys (12) and one of the girls want to be outdoors!

Should we try to restrict them? Any helpful suggestions please?

Thanks

I don't see that there's a problem with being outside. as long as there is plenty of provision for them, and things like chalk etc to do mark making.

Alternatively have a teacher led actvitiy inside and ask them to come and work with you. I have also found the majority of my class (again 14, but only 10 boys) also want to be outside, so I focus more on making outside resourced each morning and just go with it.

They'll come inside when they're cold!!

i think that once the children realise they can use the outdoor area whenever they like and for as long as they like they will start to use the indoor area as well - could you have something inside that will attract them there or could you provide something outside that will attract your child inside? perhaps by chatting about their interests /likes you would be able to find these out and plan accordingly, making it easier for you both

I tend to 'advertise' the activities available inside when they plan for their independent work. Plus they have to say where exactly they are planning to work outside so they know there's a continuity throughout the environment rather than a free-for-all outside.

Edited by Freefaller

I would agree with what several other people have said, when they realise that they can always be outside they tend to choose that option less. If all curriculum areas are available outside then it should not be a problem as you will know that they can access all of it whether indoors or out. I wouldn't worry about it too much. With 52 in our year group, we often have about 30 outside with one adult but as long as it is resourced effectively they will be able to be purposeful and constructive in what they are doing. As someone previously said, I'm sure this will change as the weather gets cooler.

I can't do the free flow system because our classroom isn't directly connected to the outdoors. I also have a smallish room and 29 in the class, I split the class with the TA and half go outside and half stay in. One of the adults leads an activity, when everyone in that half has had a turn we swap the groups and repeat. I share the cold/sun and the adult leading role with the TA. This keeps it fair and means I can observe the children in their initiated play as well as adult led play. I'm hoping this is going to be okay with ofsted as I expect we will be inspected this school year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)