Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transitions

Hi all,

I am posting to see if anybody has any ideas about how I could manage my transitions in my nursery class better. I'm an nqt so this is my first year trying to do this.

I'm having trouble with the transition from CIL to tidying up to sitting on the carpet. When it's tidy up time I have some chn who go straight to sit on the carpet, some who carry on with what they are doing, some who just wonder round the classroom telling the other children it is tidy up time and some who tidy up and then come sit on the carpet. With a class of 40 I find it difficult trying to get the chn to tidy up and then sit on the carpet while there are some chn messing about on the carpet because they have tidied up their area already. It all seems a bit noisy and chaotic at the moment.

Any suggestions?!

Hello beclawler,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Can I ask do all the children participate in CLL, tisy-up then carpet time together as adult led activity? I wonder if this is too long a time frame for this age group.

If yes to the above, could the CLL work be done in smaller groups? With TA/LSA support?

Maybe offer these adult led activities with some child initiated play inbetween.

I used to encourage my preschool children to tidy as they went along rather than one big tidy up time, for exactly the reasons you state.

Praise (OUT LOUD) the children who are tidying then (hopefully) other will follow.

Hope this helps.

Peggy

Hi there,

welcome to the forum from me too!

We try to tidy up as we go, however, when we do sit down we put on some classical music (same piece every time) and the children do seem to get the gist of it.

We are in preschool. Hope that helps,

Spiral

this might sound a bit harsh but I got really fed up with exactly the same problems - I am in a pre-school though - and made a chart with all the children's names on and ten boxes.

I made a big point of saying that when I saw some good tidying up then that child would get a coloured square and when they got 10 they would get a sticker/certificate.

Anyway, it didn't take long before it was obvious those children who never seem to help tidy up then I paid lots of attention to the work they were doing and nagged them a bit to do their share and get a coloured square.

It really worked because everyone could see who was tidying and who wasn't.

I also find that some children just don't get it..... I also have a basked out at tidy up time and tell the children that if they don't know where something goes put it in the basket. Everything ends up tidy and then the children are asked to select something from the basket that they DO know where it belongs and put that away.

All sounds very complicated but it isn't honestly! xD I'm quite proud of the way they tidy up now... they are encouraged to tidy up as they go along, but to be honest it doesn't often work, although I am quite strict with puzzles and games , if you got it out then put it away again!

Hope that helps - you are not alone... :o

Forgot to say we also reward the children with a sticker for coming straight over and sitting down - the same goes for good tidying etc.

Was once asked by a little one who adored stickers so much whether they'd get one for moving some fluff off the carpet! :o

Spiral

Thank you all for your advice!

CIL is child initiated learning/play so the transition is from that to coming to sit on the carpet for circle time. I am using stickers and praise at the moment however it is very early days still and I think it will take time to catch on. As suggested above, I may make a chart or display with the chn's names on.

I will persevere and be consistent at tidy up times! :o

a chart can sometimes be good for parents too, when a couple of our saw the chart (and that their child didn't have any coloured squares) they spoke to their children and that can be quite persuasive too!

good luck! :oxD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)