Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Years Co Ordinator/leader

Hi all,

I have decided to turn to the many brains on this site to help me...

An opportunity for early years co ordinator has come my way at my school this week.... this is wonderful news and am delighted that the head sees this as a role for me...

however.. i have a few uncertainties...

The current early years co ordinator has just moved from reception to year 1...

I have been told that she will remain the early year s 'leader' and i would take the early year s'coordinator' title... that the big decisions would come down to her and she would over see the early years in the school and the day to day things would be dealt with by me...

I was really just seeking some advice on whether this is how other people percive the early years co ordinator role... In my knowedge and experience and from how the school has run until now.. the early years co ordinator has sole resposibility for the early years.. and decisions made etc?

also i had the understanding that a co ordinator role like this was eligible for more pay?? ..

would really appreciate peoples views on this.. I have a meeting next week to discuss it!... would love to go filled with lots of questions!

many thanks in advance!!! :)

Hi i canthelp you with the pay side of things but i am in a one form entry school and teach rec, we dont have a nursery only a private pre school but anyway to cut a long story short our leader is the year 1 teacher and its brilliant. Because she has used the eyfs to influence yr 1 and putting things into place that continue what i do in rec. She is also an excellent resource for ideas ect. x x x Do you want to take the role on?

Well done it sounds very exciting for you and a opportunity to make your mark. xD

As far as extra pay for responsibility is concerned you would be talking about a TLR. You would need to look at your school staffing structure as TLR's are decided on by SMT and the Governing Body, and any changes to that structure would need to go through a consultation process. It sounds to me if the teacher who is responsible for Early Years would have a TLR. Is she responsible for all Early Years because that would include KS1? From your description it sounds as if she has a senior post. Is she on the SMT? Do they mean that you are FS Co-ordinator? As FS Co-ordinator you are therefore responsible for your class/group of children and they could argue that you have the same responsibilities as any classroom teacher who is responsible for his/her group of children. We know as FS teachers how onerous our task is though don't we :o At your meeting you need to clarify your role and responsibilities and how the line management is going to work. It is quite usual for teachers in Primary to have a curriculum responsibility without a TLR. The rights and wrongs of that are open to debate, but in reality Primary schools can't pay everyone TLR's.

sorry just read thats its a wonderful opportunity so i am sure once you get all your questions anwered you will feel much better. this forum is def the right place to ask x

I am in a similar position, i have been offered the role of being foundation stage co-ord (however i see it more as an assistant fs co-ord). We have 3 classes of each yr group and also a nursery. I have been offered to be the 'hands-on' leader who is there for all rec staff and nursery staff. However I also have someone who is the official fs leader but she is also ks1 leader and Senco for our year groups. She obv has a lot on her plate and has asked me to help be there as I am one of the reception teachers so can always be available for people and parents etc. I see it as an opportunity as training and gaining experience in this area and also proving myself. I am only in my third year of teaching so am very honoured to be offered this role. I am glad I still have someone 'above' me who I know is always there if I get stuck with a decision or do not know the answer.

I think you should see it as a positive offer and maybe they are in a similar situation as me...wanting to see if you can do it?! However defo, see exactly where you stand as you don't want to step on the other persons toes as it can make your job very difficult!!

Hope this helps!

x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)