Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Stage Co Ordinator

Hi not sure if posting in right area, but is anyone able to share with me the role of 'foundation stage co ordinator'? Would be very interested as to what various people may be doing in this role.

Also has anyone ever organised a Valentines disco for Reception to Y2 children after school any good tips?! :o

I co ordinate Foundation Stage and would be happy to chat with you which might be easier than an exhaustive list of my roles and resposibilities if you want to contact me. I am in the northwest too.

Discos - I would just say lots of helpers and a willingness to dance for the duration!!!

I am also a Foundation Stage Co-ordinator. Basically I over see both Nursery and Reception. I monitor all planning, I create all rotas and timetables. I continuosly look to move the FS forward. I run train training and inset about the FS. And loads more!!!

Discos: I did ran a Christmas disco for FS and KS1. Just got a disco ball, silly music such as bob the builder, postman pat, mixed in with alittle S club 7 - work surprisingly very well! Great success

Thanks Michaella and Oli

Michaella hope you have picked up my email!

Oli do nursery and Reception plan together at all? Do they use same planning formats and types of observations eg stickies etc? Are your nursery and Reception on the same site - ours aren't which causes problems. Do nursery and Reception staff have chance to observe each others practices at all?

Sorry so many questions - trying to sort out links between nursery and Reception and the FS Co-ordinator is the pivot.

Appreciate the help

When I start at my current school a year and a half ago N & R were very alienated from each other. In September this year I fully intergrated N & R to create a FS unit. Very dramatic!!! Around Easter time last year I pushed forward for the N & R to plan together and to begin using the same format. Now it would feel abnormal to plan apart. But it didn't happen with out a struggle and a fight!!!!! We now use the same observation sheets and all other paper work. Our Nursery and Reception are next to each other so it does make life easier. But we could plan together even if you don't work together. At the moment we don't observe other practitioner - this is my next project.

Word of advise: Change never happens without a stuggle. It just boils down to who what it the most.....

Cheers Oli

Think I will have a fight on my hands! Unfortunately it is the co-ordinator who I might have the struggle with! The nursery staff are extremely enthusiastic and forward thinking but it is the Reception staff (where the co-ordinator) is that is not quite so progressive! Hence why I am interested in how other people work and what their actual role entails. Ammunition!

With regards to planning do you sit down at the end of sessions to see where the children are going or do you plan a weeks LI in one go?

As a whole FS team we sit down at the end of the day for 25 mins and evaluate the learning that has taken place that day and evaluate the next days plans. We also plan the next weeks/ two weeks plans together.

Have you spoken to your head about your concerns about the FS co ordinator??

I need some nitty gritty here. We use the same planning and assessment formats but I'm not really sure what planning together entails. We discuss what our overall shared theme is and what we will be doing and where we are in our hours free-flow time. Otherwise as we are physically seperate the rest of the time the planning of enhanced and directed activites is largely left to each class team. As R I have more structured phonics, reading and maths to fit in amongst my play activities. R does longer hours than nursery in the morning, and we still go out with our mixed Y1/2 class for breaks several times a week. (smallish school) The nursery has an outdoor play area so this gives my children an opportunity to use this. I also do more structred PE and music than the nursery does.

Lots of ideas and advice very welcome.