Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Grateful For Your Opinions

Hi all

Haven't been around for a while - other things going on. Just wanted to discuss an incident which happened to my 9 year old son at school today:

he was playing footsie with his best friend at the end of the lesson - his fault, I wont defend him. But the teacher in the class walked over to him and before saying anything, she grabbed his arm just below his shoulder and swung him around. She then said that if he did it again he would be sorry.

My son was absolutely in bits when he came out of school but I didnt find out the whole story until tea-time and its Friday so nothing I can do until Monday morning. He is a quiet boy - he only transferred to middle school at the beginning of term and he had settled in really well. His class teacher has said that he is one of the best behaved children she has ever taught.

Am I over-reacting at being horrified by what this teacher did to my son? I feel that he should be reprimanded if he does something wrong but I have a BIG problem with a member of staff manhandling him in this way.

Would like to hear what others think and how to deal with it. I am considering going in to see the head first thing Monday morning.

Thanx for listening to the whinge!!

Sally

Hi Sally

I think you need to find out what exactly happened. I know I certainly wouldn't want to think anyone manhandled my son in that manner.

Try to relax this weekend and enjoy your time with your family.

Let us know how it goes on Monday.

mummyspud x

i do not think you are been over sensitive when it comes to someone upsetting your child this much. I would see the class teacher first thing monday and then if it is not eplained i would definatley take it to the head. You will get it sorted as soon as you can but dont let it ruin your weekend if you can x x x let us know how it goes

I would approach the staff member first by apointment to ensure there is time to talk and its officially a meeting rather than a chit chat. If you are then not happy contact the headteacher.

Definitely not being over sensitive but I would go to the teacher first. I wouldn't initially offer your sons version of events, just ask her what happened. I would then respond to her reply and make sure I told her then, what your son had said.

I am not doubting your son for a second but there are always two sides to a story and I think I would want to hear the teacher's account of what happened. Only if I was not satisfied would I then go to the Head, just think the teacher deserves an opportunity to explain herself!

It certainly sounds concerning, not only the physical grabbing his arm but the do it again and you will be sorry is rather a threatening approach :o

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Edited by Geraldine

Sally - anything which upsets a child to that degree is worth looking into further, especially as it sounds out of character for him. As has been said, there are two sides to ever story and it may turn out to be a storm in a teacup but it may be more so is worth pursuing. Apart from anything your little boy will appreciate your being there for him. i remember an incident with my youngest some years ago which I wondered whether to question and didn't. Later, having worked with the teacher in question and seen her methods at first hand I very much wished I had! (I did then)This behaviour on her part may be part of a bigger picture which the school may or may not be aware of. Sorry to sound depressing but speak from experience. Hope turns out to be nothing more than a misunderstanding and quickly forgotten :)

Agree with advice so far, speak to teacher, by appointment, have ready if you can actual quotes of what your son has said, word for word (if you can remember) these are more powerful than your interpretation of what he said.

I too dislike the 'threats' given.

I hope this can be resolved for your son asap.

Peggy