Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A Simple Easy Register?

Hi all,

We have changed from sessional day care to full day care and we have children arriving at various times of the day. Children attend from 9.30 -2.30, 9.30 -12 and 12-2.30. Our register seems to get very muddled after a while. Does anyone have an easy and simple method that works well for them?

Thanks

Scottiedog

Hi all,

We have changed from sessional day care to full day care and we have children arriving at various times of the day. Children attend from 9.30 -2.30, 9.30 -12 and 12-2.30. Our register seems to get very muddled after a while. Does anyone have an easy and simple method that works well for them?

Thanks

Scottiedog

Hi there,

we have a single sheet per day -it is much better that way. It has a list of the children's names who should attend the morning and afternoon session as well with a big diamond indicating when they are due in (as parents can get this wrong too). We leave a space for us to write in the time each child arrived and left and a 's' or 'h' for sickness/holidays.

Anyway its attached so you can see what I mean,

Spiral

Hi,

We use the pre-school learning alliance register and list all the children due in during the day, noting in the margin in they are in at L(unchtime) or PM.

I've attached a word doc which shows the basic layount.

We mark / as they come through the door, then cross it the other way when we call register. Then the ones going home at 11.45 are marked OUT, those staying or arriving for lunch are all marked in again, then the same at 1pm. The totals are recorded at bottom which is great.

Hope this makes sense!

Abbie stays for lunch and leaves at 1pm

Ben leaves at 11.45

Carol leaves at 11.45

Derek leaves at 11.45

Edward arrives at 11.45 and leaves at 3pm

Frank stays for lunch and leaves at 1pm

all i can say is good luck to you. we did that last term, it got so manic with children and parents coming and going from 11-45 till 12.45. So this term we decided to only offer either full day on a Monday and Friday and half days only on a Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. It has been working brillant no interuptions from children and adults coming and going and alot easier for staff to be on hand.

Could I just ask Scottiedog if the transition from sessional to full day care was difficult and what you had to do?

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

I contacted Ofsted and they asked me to put all the relevant information in a letter, and once they were satisfied we received our new registration certificate. Only then were we able to change. We only had a 15 minute break between sessions and staff have always gone to lunch one after the other so we didn't have to change that at all. Wasn't too difficult a change. Hope that helpsGood luck with yours.

Scottiedog

We offer sessions 5 mornings, 5 lunches and 4 afternoons and it works well for us.

our sessions are 9.00 - 11.45. just before we open the door those going home are asked to get bags, those staying for lunch go and wash hands.

11.45 children go home and some arrive for lunch/afternoon.

At 1pm after lunch, those children going home get bags, those staying go and play.

We are quite strict with parents though about picking up on time, and arriving on time, we make it clear that we require this 'transition' time to be as quick as possible, unless they would like to speak to staff.

Parent's dropping off come in to settle, parents collecting don't come in thoughthechildren are show out from the doorway.

Works really well for us - parent's soon get the hang of it too!

our times are very simular

9.00-12

9.00-1.00

9.00-3.00

1.00-3.00

we found 1.00 difficult so now get parents to pick up at 12.50 which gives us ten minutes before 1.00 children arrive. not so congested with children coming and going. if parents are early the have to wait until one.

our register looks like this the only problem we have is parents putting time in wrong box.

Date.docx

Hi,

Our setting has children coming and going too. We have morning, morning and lunch, lunch and afternoon, just afternoon or full day. Parents have to fill out a session request for their child, and have to give a week in advance notice if they want to change these.

I created a really simple excel spread sheet (which i update according to any session changes happening) with childrens names down the side, and accross the top says am, l, pm five times for each day of the week. I have then highlighted where each child is supposed to be in.

I added a 1 to each of those squares and did a sum of at the bottom so i have a quick idea of how many children i expect to have in that day. I print out one per week and use it as my register each morning and afternoon. I have attached a screen shot of an example as a word document. If you want any more help or clarification on this let me know :)

Hope this helps

Hollie

example_register.doc