Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Walking Rope

Deb

we use this one:-

www.tts-group.co.uk/Product.aspx?cref=TTSPR593410

have to say it is brilliant, we use it for walking (obviously :o ) but also as an evacuation rope. We have one rule (don't let go of your ring!) and even the youngest stick to this. Children can share a ring so you can have up 20 children on the rope.

Wouldn't recommend a normal rope because of friction burns if someone pulls hard.

Hope this helps

We also use an ordinary rope tied into 26 loops. We have never had a problem because children are only walking slowly anyway. I do think that many toy companies are marketing things that could easily be made. When I think back I remember our home corner as being covers that fit over big chairs. We made and suitably decorated a fridge, oven and washing machine. It was much easier to wash and set up each day.I love receiving new catalogues, not to buy the resourses but to adapt/ make them. Fortunately for us we have voluntees to help

Hi

Thank you very much for your replies. The TTS link rope looks very reasonably priced compared to the walk-o-dile one at £200 for one, whichholds 6 children, though they have an offer for buy one get one half price. It does make me feel that they have tried to capitalize on the health and safety angle. Though it does look rather good at the same time.

In my last job we only ever went out with a ratio of 1 adult to 2 children so that the children had a hand to hold.

I am assuming you would assess each child's ability to remain holding on, an individual basis? Am I right in thinking a suitable age would be around 3?

We have to walk alongside a fairly busy main road in a village which often has big lorries using it.

We take children from their second birthday so have lots younger than 3. Although, yes you would need to assess each child, we've never had any problems. Because we use it reguarly for fire drills (and just test trips around the school field) all the children know they must NEVER let go. We often match up a younger chld with an other one, have an adults at the front and the back so you can be in good control of what's going on and of couse the older children will let you know if someone lets go!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)