Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bright Child

Hi guys, i have an extremely bright reception child in maths, whatever i set her to do, she is able to accomplish within a real short space of time. She can write three digit numbers no problem, order numbers to 100, find one more two three more/less. Incredible. Is it worth me suggesting for her to join the yr1s who are no where near her capabilities still, but ast least a little more challenging. Or do i plan complete separate work for her, using yr 1objectives.

Would love to hear your views on this one

xxx

Sorry, I can't help you with this, but I just wanted to say how lovely it is that you are making such an effort. My older daughter could have done with you 8 years ago when she was in reception. She was bored rigid and ended up switched off by the end of year one.

I hope someone who knows comes along with some advice soon

MANY years ago I was 'moved up' a year group becuase I was bright, bad move, I hated being away from my friends - plan for her at her level and let her stay with her friends and peers.

I agree. Just because the maths is 'incredible' does not mean other areas are as well developed especially social skillls. Don't fall into the trap of just giving more work. If its maths skills why not have some challenge boxes for her.She will be year one next year and will get easily bored if she meets the same again. She needs challenging to use and apply her skills in interesting ways.

Some schools do vertical groupings for certain subjects, is there a consistent numeracy time across the school? I wouldn't swap her actual class full time, but she could certainly go into a higher group just for maths, couldn't she?

If not, what you're looking at is very similar to mixed age group classes. My son's teacher has 3 year groups in one class and she is able to differentiate carpet time activities. You could have some extension questions related to the main topic that you ask her, or get her up to the front to teach some of the concepts to the others.

I would also do an internet search for 'gifted and talented' as there are many organisations out there now to support teachers with very able children.

Thanks to you all for your advice, really helpful. Love the idea of a challenge box biccy, will get that in operation this week. I can completely understand why we shouldnt put her into yr1 if she didnt know the chn but lasdt year we ran as a successful foundation unit where they all integrated with one another, so she still knows her peers. But will keep her in f2 with me I will enjoy the challenge of meeting her potential in PSRN I'm sur i will gain alot from it.

Thanks again for your support

xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)