Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fsp Points And Nursery

I would like to find out how many Nurseries that are part of a primary school assess their Nursery children on the first 3 statements on the Profile or do you use the Developmental Matters only in Nursery.

Up to now, I have assessed our Nursery children on DM's and the first 3 statements. But now wondering if we will stick to DM's in Nursery and let Reception start their baseline with the first 3 statements. What do you all do?

The first 3 scale points on the profile are DMs not ELGs and are often achieved before reception.

Hi Marion. Does that mean then in your reception class you inherit the FSP scores from your Nursery? Are you happy with this arrangement? Do you worry that you show enough progression in reception if you are getting children at the start of Autumn term who already are on statement 2 or 3?

Thanks very much Catma and Marion for your very helpful replies.

Am trying to get as much info about as many settings as poss before I go to our headteacher/advisor with our concerns.

Am I right in thinking then that to get statement 2 at end of Nursery is ROUGHLY about average Nursery child, so statement 1 is ROUGHLY below av Nursery child and working within statements 3 is roughly above average Nursery child?

I know the statements are not necessarirly hierarchical but this is an approximate rule of thumb I keep in my head.

Does anyone else agree?

point one was generally from the old yellow SS.

Points 2 and 3 were generally from within the old blue or green SS

4- 8 = ELGs.

ELGs are the end of 40 - 60+ therefore indicate secure in this DM band and would be the national expectation for a child on entry to Yr 1.

On entry to reception is national expectation is secure in 30- 50/emerging 40 - 60+ -ie just below ELGs. So a score of 2 or 3 would in my estimation be a rough fit here.

1 point I would see as below national expectations for on entry to reception.

I generally say that Judgments passed on from F1 are best done as a moderation discussion between the nursery teacher and the reception teacher so the on entry data is secure and quality assured in the same way that end of FS data is.

Cx

thanks Catma. That is roughly what I thought.

One question....if a Reception class inherits the FSP scores from Nursery at beginning of the year, is that the baseline for reception and therefore the progression for the reception year is only from say, point 3 to their final point?

If a school does not have a Nursery and their baseline is then 0 on the FSP. So their progression is going to be more more---as defined by the difference in starting score (ie 0) and their final score (ie 7, 8, 9, whatever.)

Because if the latter is the case, then isn't it a disadvantage to School FS units with Nurseries for them to score children in Nursery but have less numerical preogression than other schools?

Help

We have a nursery attached and they assess using the 1-9 scale points if the children are ready.

As a school our head sets the nursery a target that children should enter reception with 3 scale points and then in reception they are expected to get to atleast 6 scale points. Many of the children are low but you get the occasional child who exceeds the expected, so I think it goes back to knowing your children and how they can be assessed! If you feel they are achieving some of the 1-9 scale points then I am sure you reception would be very grateful to have them on paper!! Also remember some children will not get the points in order, and be for example very creative so may achieive more CD points!!

I think alot of it also depends on how your reception intake is managed, we have a 3 term intake so the children who enter reception in the summer term are assessed in nursery higher as it is not possible to move them onto 6scale points in 1term!!

I feel I have run on but hope you understand some of it!!

Claire x

Hello,

Firstly, haven't posted before so hope this gets where it's supposed to-

I'd like to ask other settings with nurseries how they go about tracking progress and setting targets for children in nursery.

What benchmark for below average, average and above average do you use?.

I have tried using the DM, linking it to the 1st 3 points of FSP (as old yellow, blue and green) but get muddled at blue as this can include a child who is below average, average and above average according to age and stage!

Our school tracks progress and sets targets from nursery which are then followed for each child throughout the school!! I'm finding it a bit of a nightmare to be honest!

isn't it sad that so many of us worry about of of this tracking, target setting and monitoring when what really matters is that children get a good experience in whatever setting they are in during their formative years!

I am so glad I am an adult and not a child being target driven, tracked and monitored through our system!

sounds a bit negative I know but in the end I came into education to make a difference to children!

isn't it sad that so many of us worry about of of this tracking, target setting and monitoring when what really matters is that children get a good experience in whatever setting they are in during their formative years!

I am so glad I am an adult and not a child being target driven, tracked and monitored through our system!

sounds a bit negative I know but in the end I came into education to make a difference to children!

Don't know if this is any use to anyone- it links the first 3 profile points to DM

http://www.bexley.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=6697

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)