Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pre-entry Data

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help as my mind is slightly confused over this pre-entry malarkey on the EYe-profile.

I have records for about 16 of my new class and after looking through I am just wondering whether for the pre-entry data on the EYe-profile, I enter the data as assessed by their preschool/nursery practitioners or do I enter it using my observations and interactions with the children across the initial few weeks. I'd really appreciate anyone's advice/suggestions as I'm trying to get things sorted before the term gets too hectic as I'm also in the process of house buying and planning a wedding so trying to prioritise and work efficiently.

Last year, as an NQT, I was initially told on an EYE-profile course to combine the nursery records and my initial observations as Autumn A and to enter the data within the first half term. However, after meeting with my EYs advisor in the second half of the Autumn term, where she updated the profile (changed from on entry to pre-entry), my EYs advisor said that I should have entered the nursery data as pre-entry and then used my observations to do Autumn A - I was confused then and unfortunately still am and am currently without an EYs advisor due to job moves in the county.

On the EYs-profile courses, I was also told to update the profile each half term, but as my last meeting with my EYs advisor at the end of March, she told me I was updating the profile too frequently. Again, I have been left confused as to how often I should update the profile - any suggestions/comments would be truly appreciated!

I've no doubt your advice will be fantastic as always, hope this post makes sense - it’s been a hectic week with an extremely exuberant class!!

Becky x

What the children can already do when they walk through your door is pre entry. What you then observe them doing which is more than that and possibly allows you to award a scale point is Autumn A which you may be filling in by half term?

Or you can do your combined impressions + the stuff from previous settings as Autumn A and skip pre entry all together. It's your profile management system - you can decide how best to use it for your schools data! Update it termly, half termly - it's a summative tool so it just depends how many summative points you want.

Cx

I think it's a good idea to make your own judgements of the children for their baseline assessments. You can certainly use the data from the feeder setting to inform your own opinions, but you need to see evidence for yourself rather than take someone else's word that the children can do something. What they achieved at the end of the pre-school/nursery was in a well known setting with people they knew, and six weeks has past since then. So you need to see where they are now. I'd use the data from the feeder settings as their pre-entry data then enter your own data into Autumn A. I think doing it that way gives you the opportunity to see if they've retained/lost their competencies over the summer.

With regard to updating the profile, I think you have to update it as and when you need to. I check mine every half term, but not all of the children need updating as they develop at such different rates. You know them best of all and if you think that you can update a child's profile at the end of a half term, then update it. If there's any doubt - leave it until you know the child has the point.

I'm in the same boat as you - getting married in just under 7 months (slap bang in the middle of the Easter hols!) so I can appreciate how your mind is in a zillion different places right now! Just remember you have until October half term to enter your data, so carry on getting to know the children over the next few weeks and gather the evidence you need to make your judgements.

Hope the wedding plans are coming along nicely and good luck with the move! :o

Many thanks for your comments - all very reassuring and helpful. I feel that I am best to get the know the children over the forthcoming weeks and enter Autumn A data for all children. At the mo, I've entered pre-entry data for the children I have records for.

Sorry not replied sooner to pass on my thanks but just haven't seem to have had the time!

I am in the process of trying to talk with my EYs advisor but sturggling to track down her number - on a course run by other EYs advisors tomorrow so will ask them and see the position my LA takes.

Good luck with your wedding planning to Jess - its such a great time but also so much to think about - I've had two of my bridesmaids up this weekend, who have both been through the wedding planning experience - great help but also provided me with more to think about. Also been trying to get my head around solicitor reports for house stuff - so confusing!!

Anyway, many thanks for your comments - best get on with school bits before I run out of time!

Becky x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)