Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Boys Boys Boys!

I desperately need some help and advice before I go completley bonkers!! I have an amazing class of 14; all incrediably able - and 11 of whom are boys. I appreciate it is early days but they are wearing me out!! and maybe I am panicing far too soon but I feel if I can't get things under control now its all going to go pear shaped! They only seem to play with the same things - the builders kit, the pirate ship and the bikes, trikes and scooters. They don't however engage in any quality play, they crash the scooters and the pirate ship and as for sharing - lets just say its a work in progress. Through my observations and discussions with parents they all like the same things, mainly being on the computer which I am using to my advantage, but they have such a short attention span, I feel like I am constantly tripping over things, because they do not put anything away before they get out the next thing and when they are in our small outside area they are either play fighting, running around like they have eaten 20 blue smarties, crashing into one another or zooming and crashing on the wheeled toys. I've ranted now but what I need is a plan on how to engage these boys and maintain their concerntration at something and how to encourage them to gel as a group. We are doing lots in circle times and through stories but has anybody else experienced such a heavy boy intake? The three girls have had enough too! Our Golden Star system is in place and having positive effect but I need more!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance

Nicky

I had a class of 11 boys and 2 girls and although I had envisaged something like what you are describing, it was one of the most delightful classes I have ever had, although it also contained one of the most troubled and difficult young lads I have had.

You obviously need to get them onside and I would start challenging them with something a little more meaty. Can they plan races and predict outcomes etc and start to record? Make stories and record their games etc etc. If you are very focused with your learning, they may engage more?

Also try to get them outside and perhaps you could give them longer for Child Initiated time as this will enable them to get really involved.

Have you seen this document

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.g...ng_achievements

I agree with susan once you get them engaged boy heavy classes can be so rewarding. give them space and go with their flow and I am sure you will find it much more enjoyable!

not worked with this age group but could you use the pirate theme to start some ideas - making a pirate ship using big blocks - this would involve sharing,taking turns and negotiating etc., could also talk about treasure chests - use boxes different sizes/ shapes and predict which will hold most / least - go from there - use their interests as starting point.

dont know if thats a help??????????????????????????

Pick one of their interests each week and plan from that - see where it takes you and what effect it has? In my opinion boys often like what their friends like at this age, and are happy to follow - if that means power rangers, wrestling, or star wars, they'll go with it. Perhaps if you are detecting some 'leaders' go with their ideas first, but for example, we spotted a beautiful spider and web at our window the other day and it really engaged some conversation, we then planned for our 'feely' bags which we had planned to do for our topic of senses, to have mini beast resources in, when the boys came running by the other day I got their attention as they watched someone else participating, and then one of my most 'reluctant' boys to do anything that is asked of him, really wanted to join in and had at least 5 goes of the bag and we got some great language and learning from him.

Dinosaurs

Mini Beasts

Superheros

Racing Cars

are a few topics that spring to mind

Clare x

Really useful post as I have a class of 31 (I know its illegal - don't get me started!!) and 20 of them are boys! I am planning on doing lots of my adult led tasks outside. I think its the writing side of things that is worrying me most, so will try to engage them on a large scale, mark making with large playground chalks and messy play eg. gloop.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)