Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs In After School Clubs

Hi,

I just wondered if anyone has any experience of EYFS in After School Clubs? Our supervisor has been told by an advisor that after school clubs children are counted as EYFS from 0-5. e.g. even if they are in Y1 and still 5. Someone else has heard this from their NVQ course too.

Is this right? I have only ever seen it written that EYFS is till the end of Reception (august 31st after they are 5). I have googled but haven't found anything about this. Do you think it is just a misinterpretation?

Thanks,

Edited by Guest

There should be an awareness of the EYFS in afterschool club if you have chldren from the approriate age range.

The EYFS is from birth to 5, but children are 5 until the day they are 6, and so many will remain 5 years old for much of their year one experience!

Hence I think the need for flexibility of teaching in year one classes!!

Our afterschool has plans to show that each area of learning is covered each week, but that no pressure is put on the children to do these activities............ after school is about "down time" after all, not a continuation of the school day!

• 5 months later...
Guest jenpercy

Would appreciate any help in EYFS and after school. Is there anyone who doesn't find that they haven't got time to worry about the majority of children whilst fretting about a looming OFSTED and it's concentration in EYFS. Did you know children are over the hill at 5 and a half as they then become Later Years

There should be an awareness of the EYFS in afterschool club if you have chldren from the approriate age range.

The EYFS is from birth to 5, but children are 5 until the day they are 6, and so many will remain 5 years old for much of their year one experience!

Hence I think the need for flexibility of teaching in year one classes!!

Our afterschool has plans to show that each area of learning is covered each week, but that no pressure is put on the children to do these activities............ after school is about "down time" after all, not a continuation of the school day!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jenpercy
Later Years? Never heard of that - sounds like a joke to me!

Maz

i know it's unbelievable BUT true. Like the fact that OFSTED are only inspecting us for the 6 children who are in reception class and how we deal with that. If we said that we only took children from Year 1 upwards, we would only get conditions met/not met as the total of our inspection report!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)