Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reclaiming Vat

mps09

Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can help??? please???

We are a registered charity and have always paid VAT on our purchases.

Does anyone know whether we are able to reclaim the VAT on anything we buy? I keep hearing from people that we should be able to but I've looked on the Inland Revenue website and I can't find anything, and what I do find seems really complicated :o

So any guidance as a starting point would be very gratefully received!!

Thank you all.

xD:(:(

when I worked at a playgroup that was a charity, we were told we couldn't reclaim VAT, partly because it was so complicated......and partly, i think, to do with your annual turnover.Someone else might have a more definitive answer though. I still can't see why we can't be the same as schools in this respect, and not have topay the vat in the first place!

you need to be VAT registered, there is a page on the HM customs website - - 'VAT for charities and not-for-profit organisations: introduction '

im not sure if i can post the link, but you could find it on a search.

from what i can remember it was a complicated process -so we didnt bother !!

is it just purchases you want to claim the VAT on , as we managed to go VAT exempt when we had our premises built-it save quite a bit as you can imagine !