Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bird Cake

Does anyone know if it is ok for the birds to make bird cake with melted margarine instead of lard. The smell from melting lard all day in Nursery is just such an awful smell we don`t want to face another day of making it with all the children.

Hi, sorry Gwen, I dont know the answer to this nor have I ever made a bird cake so can you give us the recipe please?

My thoughts are though that Lard is traditionally animal fats, which margarine isnt. But possibly you could use a sunflower oil or margarine?

Hi Gwen

You would have to take care that there wasn't any salt added to the margarine. That is the main problem with feeding wild birds-the additives in our food is very bad for them. In fact feeding birds with bread, including ducks, is not good because of the salt content. Seeds are better for them. I don't know if you can get margarine with no added salt?

Linda

We have always used lard as Susan says it is animal based and sets better too. try using beef dripping which can be bought in supermarkets as this doent smell as bad, but does cost more, we mostly mix wild bird seed wtih this and pour it into a small pot or net to hand it outside, if it is setting the children also push it into card tubes.

Inge

Hi, vegetable fat can be used instead, and has the added bonus that it doesnt smell. It sets near enough straight away, so the results are instant.

The tiny downside though is that the birds dont actually like it, :o so it depends what you want to get from the activity, i.e if you are actually making bird food for the birds, or for the experiences in the activity.

Our squirrel loved the fat btw!!!!!!!!

Guest Tracey F

We made ours with vegetable fat this year - the first time they've ever turned out whole! This was cos I couldn't actually find any lard in the shops at the time! Unfortunately the birds dont seem too keen and the squirrels dont seem to have been near either. Ah well - maybe they just aren't hungry enough yet!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest helsha80

Hi Gwen,

I make bird seed cake every year. I have tried many methods but the one I prefer takes no cooking. We use porridge oats as the main dry ingredient and add in bird seed. Then we use lard, rubbing it into the dry mix as if making a crumble. After all children have had a squidge it begins to come together. (It is a tad messy , but great fun and as long as you have warm soapy water, no harm done.

Hope this helps Helen

• 2 months later...

So Have I got this one right? Bird seed is porridge oats and bird seed, rubbed together with lard and then fed to the birds- wanted to do it ever since I saw it last year so this term is my chance!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)