Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Oh Help!

Hi all,

Some of you may remember that I posted expalining that I am a Year 5 teacher moving, (now moved) to reception. I have completed my first two days and I love it. But.... today we have had the big O call - a subject insp[ection for English. Guess who is subject leader??!! Yup, me. So I was happy getting my head around Foundation stage and all the gubbins that go with it, but now I am stressed. Has anyone had a subject inspection? What happens??????

Thanks in advance for any lovely advice and knowledge

Sarah

(off to open a very LARGE bottle of wine and try to drown in it!)

Thanks in advance for any lovely advice and knowledge

Sarah

(off to open a very LARGE bottle of wine and try to drown in it!)

I am sorry no advice or knowledge, but a good luck and enjoy the wine!! I assume by subject you mean you are still responsible for English over the whole school not in reception??

Clare xxx

Yes, I am over all Literacy co-ordinator for the whole school, so feel like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders now!! Plus, still coping and stumbling through a whole new classroom environment and teaching style. :o

HI Sarahjane

I had a subject inspection back i think in 2006 for ICT. I was so worried but they just want to see your files, what you do, how it is monitored. What evidence have you got to support your findings and what has been written in the SEF. (work, pictures get examples of childrens work reading writing etc across the year groups) they will talk to the children. I was very lucky and the SMT helped me and talked the ofsted inspector about it. You do not get graded but get a letter sent to you and you may get mentioned in a whole LEA letter or something i think. If there was an issue raised i suspect it gets noted for the main insepction?

I hope that helps try not to panic i know its hard we have the big O due very soon and it seems so unfair that we have only just got back. Good luck

Edited by eggwoman

Oh thanks so much, that is really helpful. I am pretty stressed. We have two new members of staff - one is NQT, I am have moved from Y5 to reception and another has moved from Y2 to Y5. Everytihng is different so school is in chaos today after the call. We have had extensive building work over the summer and the builders are still here finishing off so place is full of dust and we can't put displays up yet. Oh dear!!!

Thanks again for your experience of the subjecty inspection,

S

xxx

Poor you! You've got the same luck as me. We had a DT inspection last year and i was the newly appointed co-ordinator. Lucky me.

I spent my time organising a file which the inspector liked. I had files for my other subjects but didn't think i'd need to rush to make this one! In it I had the usual policies, school improvement plan, schemes of work, rolling programmes, samples of planning, assessment and pupil's work (photographs), photographs of events and displays, audit of staff skills and CPD needs, and audit of resources, budget.

I would imagine you would need evidence of monitoring/class observations etc and assessment and tracking of pupil progress in phonics, reading and writing. You probably need to have identified SEN and AG+T children and details of children receiving ELS and ALS etc. SATs analysis details also to help set targets for forthcoming year. Photographs of displays, literacy week, evidence of other enrichment activities, recordings of children etc.

I presume they might want to look at the phonics and any impact it has had, if any. If the school results are particularly strong or weak in certain areas then they'd probably look at that.

I used the file to help me answer questions. It helped me when I was 'drying up'. We didn't get graded as such but he was very positive and said we were very good with some outstanding features in 2 of the 4 areas. They're goin to find somethin to work on, he was quite good because he let us choose areas for improvement.

He walked around a lot so a literacy rich environment would be good!! he observed 3 of the 4 staff that we had. it wasn't as daunting as an ofsted.

Anyway hope this hasn't made things worse for you! Don't worry, good luck, I'm sure you'll do well. Let us know how you go

x

Moo

Thank you so much Moo, that is really helpful. Have had a very restless night worryingh about it. Your suggestions for the file etc will be a massive help over this weekend when I start tidying it up and sorting it out. MAny many thanks

S

xx

Poor you! You've got the same luck as me. We had a DT inspection last year and i was the newly appointed co-ordinator. Lucky me.

I spent my time organising a file which the inspector liked. I had files for my other subjects but didn't think i'd need to rush to make this one! In it I had the usual policies, school improvement plan, schemes of work, rolling programmes, samples of planning, assessment and pupil's work (photographs), photographs of events and displays, audit of staff skills and CPD needs, and audit of resources, budget.

I would imagine you would need evidence of monitoring/class observations etc and assessment and tracking of pupil progress in phonics, reading and writing. You probably need to have identified SEN and AG+T children and details of children receiving ELS and ALS etc. SATs analysis details also to help set targets for forthcoming year. Photographs of displays, literacy week, evidence of other enrichment activities, recordings of children etc.

I presume they might want to look at the phonics and any impact it has had, if any. If the school results are particularly strong or weak in certain areas then they'd probably look at that.

I used the file to help me answer questions. It helped me when I was 'drying up'. We didn't get graded as such but he was very positive and said we were very good with some outstanding features in 2 of the 4 areas. They're goin to find somethin to work on, he was quite good because he let us choose areas for improvement.

He walked around a lot so a literacy rich environment would be good!! he observed 3 of the 4 staff that we had. it wasn't as daunting as an ofsted.

Anyway hope this hasn't made things worse for you! Don't worry, good luck, I'm sure you'll do well. Let us know how you go

x

Moo

Thank you Moo for this information..It's helpful for us all to have a list of what is needed in the file for when O visit. I have just taken over ict and will be constructing a file soon too.

Redbase :o

Edited by redbase

Have only just seen your post so don't know if my help will be in time. My headteacher is an Ofsted inspector so all i can do now is to ask him on Monday and then PM you on Monday eve when I get back. I started off as a secondary school teacher then retrained after 7 years as primary. did top junior first then lower juniors. then changed to KS 2 and KS 1 then have ended up in Early years. So know exactly how you feel! Will message you on Monday eve but sorry in advance if too late.

oh dreamgirl that would be fantastic thank you thank you thank you. Our inspection isn't until the 16th so Monday would be fantastic - this site is the best!!!

Much love and thanks

Sarahjane

xxx

Get all your evidence about how you know what progress every child is making relative to starting points -vulnerable groups are a particular focus now. On entry data for previous years and conversion data from KS1 to Ks2 outcomes ie no of children getting level 2b+ should be matched and bettered by no getting 4+. Trajectories of literacy vs maths - do children do as well in both subjects or do they do better in one in KS1 and then dip in ks2 for example.

Cx

thanks catma thats really useful to think about - will hunt out data. Can't say i am looking forward to this but have just over a week to organise it all.

S

xx

Hi, I had an Ofsted in 2007 when I was Lit co. The main piece of advice I can give you is to know what is happening in each year group:- levels, SATs marks etc. And know what your weaknesses and strengths are. Get your action plan from last year and highlight the stuff you got round to and then make notes on the bits you didnt so they can form the basis of this years plan if u havent had time to make one. Be honest, it is the beginning of term! Last year was 8 weeks ago, they can't expect you to remember everything!

And most importantly buy a massive bottle of wine and place it in the fridge next to the cadburys - chinese menu next to phone. It will be such a relief that its over you won't care what the result was until later!

Good Luck! xx

Just got in so sorry this is late in eve. My head teacher said ...

Standards...ie levels of reading, good teaching, evidencing progression

Equality of provision.....ie books available, library etc

Boys writing...big focus

Phonics...good teaching in phonics, structure and links to raising standards in reading

mainly then was standards and equality.

not sure how much help this is. he was only in for very short time today. grabbed him in corridor as he was flying past.!!!

hope this is of some help. x

Dreamgirl, that is a great help thanks. Confirms what we thought really but is so nice to know we are on right track. Been to local book warehouse today to stock up on quality texts and phonics resources!!

You are a star

xxx

Hi, I had an Ofsted in 2007 when I was Lit co. The main piece of advice I can give you is to know what is happening in each year group:- levels, SATs marks etc. And know what your weaknesses and strengths are. Get your action plan from last year and highlight the stuff you got round to and then make notes on the bits you didnt so they can form the basis of this years plan if u havent had time to make one. Be honest, it is the beginning of term! Last year was 8 weeks ago, they can't expect you to remember everything!

And most importantly buy a massive bottle of wine and place it in the fridge next to the cadburys - chinese menu next to phone. It will be such a relief that its over you won't care what the result was until later!

Good Luck! xx

Ahh thanks. the wine is already in the fridge - a week in advance!! Nothing like gettin g organised eh?? Action plan is something I am planning on annotating tomorrow night so thats on its way, pretty good with data as our SIP came in right at the end of term so was heavily involved in those conversations.

Oh, I can't wait for it to be over!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)