Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dinosaurs

Guest Sycamore

Guest Sycamore

Hi

I have been asked to plan a topic on Dinosaurs for this half term. I am going to base it around the Harry and the Dinosaur books but could do with lots of help please.

Is the Natural History Museum any good for reception? Too young?

Should I teach the history behind dinosaurs?

I know that children this age are fanatical about dinosaurs going by the amount of dinosaurs come into school for show and tell! We are also lucky enough to have 8ft high fibre glass dinosaurs in our school grounds.

Any art/creative ideas?

Please help!

Thank you in advance.

:o

Sounds like a fun topic!! :o I took Reception to the science muesum lats year and they loved it...also lots of mine have been with their parents to see the dinosuars i think it would be fine with Reception!

you could use footprints to create patterns for different dinosaurs, make small world natural environments, dig up bones, hide dinoausrs in the snad and identify these using simple books or i've seen a huge dinosuar chart used to identify dinosuars. You could craete dinosuars using different ollage materials and make 3-d dinosuars using reclaimed materials (Junk!). Even make dinosuar bones using newspaper and modrock...its dead easy!

Hope this helps!

we found the children enjoyed a video we were lent by a parent which showed fossils being dug up and this then led onto us making them with the children using playdough to make a mould of shells, or footprints from the models they brought in, which they poured plaster of paris into, it set very quiclky and they were able to see the result the same day. some then painted this with paint thier choice,

Dinosaur eggs using paper mache and balloons takes time to dry but very effective

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)