Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Key-workers Input Into The Planning

I'm just wondering how other people manage their planning?

Currently all my team meet to plan the activities for the topic (medium term plans).

Two members of staff then take it in turns to meet weekly to plan according to the childrens interests and adult-led activities ( weekly plans).

I'm thinking of changing it so the room leader and myself meet every week to plan as i find that the staff are not meeting the standards i set if they are left to do it themselves.

I have done in house training with them and discussed this in meeting but it doesn't seem to change much!

Do your room leaders do the plans with input from the rest of the team?

How is this done?

Thanks in advance x

We are a sessional, pack-away pre-school. Each staff member is responsible for a role on the rota for a whole week, and plans that area based on their own key children, eg. snack person: may concentrate on numbers as labels for counting for the week. They will each add resources to the daily plan, evaluate, and add/change resources for the next day. One person on the rota is responsible for ensuring all areas of learning are covered. They discuss plans at the start and end of sessions with each other.

In a setting with a large 2-5 year old room, we could not possibly get everyone together every week, so ...

There is space on the back of planning sheets for adult led activities for staff to note any suggested extensions from that activity

We also have a note book where staff can all note any activities they think will support their key children's development, or any activities / special interests / requests the children have.

The room leaders are then responsible for planning both the enhancements to the environment and adult led activities for the following week. They have to pass this to the Manager, who will come back with any suggestions / adjustments, and this is then typed up and displayed for parents to see.

The staff usually contribute well in this way, but then the Manager does ask at their monthly 1:1 meetings if they have not made any suggestions!!

It works for us

Gruffalo2 :o

In a setting with a large 2-5 year old room, we could not possibly get everyone together every week, so ...

There is space on the back of planning sheets for adult led activities for staff to note any suggested extensions from that activity

We also have a note book where staff can all note any activities they think will support their key children's development, or any activities / special interests / requests the children have.

The room leaders are then responsible for planning both the enhancements to the environment and adult led activities for the following week. They have to pass this to the Manager, who will come back with any suggestions / adjustments, and this is then typed up and displayed for parents to see.

The staff usually contribute well in this way, but then the Manager does ask at their monthly 1:1 meetings if they have not made any suggestions!!

Thank you Gruffalo2 (great name by the way) that was exactly the sort of idea i was looking for!

Is there any chance you could put your sheets on here to look at??

Thanks everyone else for your ideas!!!!xxx

I'm thinking of changing it so the room leader and myself meet every week to plan as i find that the staff are not meeting the standards i set if they are left to do it themselves.

I might have got this wrong, but it sounds to me like you are taking planning out of their hands altogether. Have you thought about either you or your room leader doing the planning alongside the staff so that you can role model what good practice looks like, and gently nudge them so they begin to take your messages on board? Having the boss there concentrates the mind wonderfully, I find!

Good luck!

Maz

My staff plan individually for their own key children, topics come about from discussion with the children and based on long observations.

the staff write up on a sheet child's name and what area and goal they are looking at and what activity they will do with their key child or whether it will be during child intiated and they will help scaffold learning

most of their achievments come during child initiated

once it is written up on the sheet i then colate it and type it up

i am then able to see which staff have no problem with planning and moving children forward and those that may need some guidance

works very well for us and as maz said it is good practice to be a good role model and help move staff forward

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)