Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lets Pretend - Topic For This Term

Happy New Year everyone.

Our topic in Reception this half term is 'Lets Pretend'. Has anyone got any innovative ideas?

Thanks

Naomi

I've used a wonderful programme called Digital Blue. This comes with a simple video camera which plugs straight into a laptop. We are lucky enough to have the facilities to project the images. The children quickly learn how to record themselves and each chunk of digital video can be edited- this needs some support. The children then can add effects to their images- aliens, slime, tentacles, birds, butterflies- these were our favourites! I borrowed the equipment from our ICT centre but the package coats about £80.

Have fun Lucyd

You could use the paint/ drawing program that you already have(?) and draw imaginery creatures.

I used to provide my class with overlays, a simple outline drawn on a OHP sheet and blu-tacked to the monitor screen, for them to trace round and then encourage them to change clours, infill etc to personalise the image.

Good for hand-eye coordination, mouse control and using a computer program.

Have fun!

Love the idea of blu-tacking outlines and I will be doing this when I get back.

Do you have a roamer? You could dress it up as an alien. Ask the children to pretend they are asleep and play space type music. Wake them up as you activate the Roamer. Lots of 'Let's Pretend' talk about what it is and where from, why is it here. Then notice a letter attached saying 'Help Me?' children then solve problem as well as playing with the roamer. Got an excellent for this when the dreaded OFSTED came some years ago, and that was in spite of the ' specter sitting on top of the table where I had hidden the roamer- and it didn't do what I had pre-programmed into it!!!! :o

Thank you for the responses so far, I will find out whether we have a programme called Digital Blue in the school. I am hoping for ideas in general regarding this topic.

Thanks

Naomi

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)