Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Emotional Development Observation

:o Please can anyone help?

I am currently doing the observations for the CACHE assignment for Unit 1 DPP, and I am STUCK (in BIG capitals) on how to do an observation on emotional development, or even which method to chose.

I have asked my tutor, but.......

(Doesn't help that the child in question doesn't show great emotion and I'm worried that I won't have anything to record!!)

Any ideas would be so appreciated

Edited by Guest

:o Please can anyone help?

I am currently doing the observations for the CACHE assignment for Unit 1 DPP, and I am STUCK (in BIG capitals) on how to do an observation on emotional development, or even which method to chose.

(Doesn't help that the child in question doesn't show great emotion and I'm worried that I won't have anything to record!!)

Hi mrswhiff,

How about a narrative observation on the child's behaviour when separating from parent's or lperhaps look at whether the child seeks comfort from other adults once the parents have gone. You could make links to Bowlby's attachment theory. It would be very relevant to record that the child shows no emotion and consider why.

if the child in question does not show great emotion that in itself could be the basis for your observation. I agree with upsy daisy that separation from the parent is a good place to start or maybe observe them in a social group situation. what are the social skills like? do they mix with their peers etc. do they show any emotion t all e.g. if they fall or have an altercation with someone else?

I would do this as a narrative but I would do it spontaneously when a natural situation presented itself.

hope this helps

killowengirl

• 4 weeks later...

Hi mrswhiff

Just wanted to say hi as I am also just starting the dpp. I'm about to start my obs, but at the moment can't seem to wrap my head around it all!!!

Hope yours are going well, maybe we can be of some assistance to each other during the course (if I ever get started!!!!!!)

just an idea as we may be able to share ideas or advice and support?

Good luck just the same

Kellyd xxx :o

xD Please can anyone help?

Hi mrswhiff,

Can I ask what age your target child is? I know DPP is primarily concerned with children aged over three years but does have optional elements of under-threes. Emotional behaviour is strongly linked with developing social skills and language so in order to respond it is important to know (in the context of child development). I've just finished a year three BA research project on supporting social and emotional development so may be able to give you some pointers if you still need them? :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)