Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Q About Different Areas In Reception Class..

Im currently re-organising my new class after moving from KS1 to Reception. I have taught Reception but feel a bit out of it at the moment. Please can you tell me the different areas/stations you have in your class-small world etc. Also, do you combine any like reading and listening?? Is investigation one or is that similar to creative.

As you can tell im confused :o Spent 2 hours shifting furniture about today and made more mess than when i started!

Thank you xD

It depends on how big your space is, you may not be able to offer all areas at the same time but may need to alternate. You can also use your outdoor area for different areas too.

I have a fairly big space so have a reading area and writing area next to each other, then a maths area, construction, creative, malleable, role play, knowledge and understanding and small world areas.

Outside I have a home corner and a music area plus replicas of the other indoor areas but not all at once.

Hope that helps a little.

Im currently re-organising my new class after moving from KS1 to Reception. I have taught Reception but feel a bit out of it at the moment. Please can you tell me the different areas/stations you have in your class-small world etc. Also, do you combine any like reading and listening?? Is investigation one or is that similar to creative.

As you can tell im confused :o Spent 2 hours shifting furniture about today and made more mess than when i started!

Thank you xD

We are the same as Mrs L. You won't be able to fit everything in unless your class is massive! Inside I have a roleplay area, reading and writing area, I have my listening area in my reading area. I also have a maths area, creative area, small construction area but the children can take resources onto the carpet area. Outside we have a musical/sound making area, another roleplay area. I have sand and water and malleable area inside and out. You can alternate the areas throughout the year if you wish. I don't have room for a small world area but the children can use the small world on the carpet or outside. My creative area doubles up as an investigation area.

Good luck!

I'm in a FSU so have more space than a normal classroom

Role Play / Home corner

Small World

ICT

Snack

Investigation

Reading / puppets

Writing

Mark Making - large & small

Sand & Water

Creative /art

DT

Construction

Storytelling

Malleable

Music

Block Play

Maths

Puzzle

Number

post-4544-1251196699_thumb.jpg

post-4544-1251196759_thumb.jpg

post-4544-1251196829_thumb.jpg

post-4544-1251196921_thumb.jpg

post-4544-1251196991_thumb.jpg

post-4544-1251197065_thumb.jpg

post-4544-1251197168_thumb.jpg

post-4544-1251197276_thumb.jpg

As you can tell im confused xD Spent 2 hours shifting furniture about today and made more mess than when i started!

Thank you :(

Thanks for your replies-ive made notes for my day in sorting tomorrow :o

i love sorting the classroom out! but you do end up in a mass of mess before it gets better! my head bobs his head in half way though my sort out and then quickly leaves ha!

i dont know if you would want it but for the fist term i have a real cosy aea with cussion and blankets for the children to rest and be quiet because it is very tiring being at school all day every day for a week, plus it seems to attract collegaues who want a chat as they get themselves nice and comfy!

another nessecity is for you cupboard: a stash of chocolate!!! not for the kids obv! :o

hi,

my first time at using this!

i love sorting out my classroom! i change it around all the time, it keeps things fresh for me and the kids. they then find and use different items which they may previously have ignored or not used. as other people i have creative, malleable, construction, writing, reading, listening, small world, role play, numeracy, ict, sand, water, i am also going to have a music area for a half term then will change it to investigation and rotate. Outside i try to have something that fits each of the 6 areas and change on a weekly or two weekly basis depending on childrens wants/needs. hope this helps, sorry if i have rambled on!

:o

hi there,

this might sound a really studit question but here goes......

What do you put in a permanent 'malleable' area except playdo every day??

It's been a long(ish) holiday hope my brain works a bit better on Thursday when we go back!!

Cheers

:oxD

Am really pleased because in my classroom's latest incarnation I have a lovely investigation area in a decent spot and good size, which I've been wanting to do for ages. Just a little worried as I've had to reduce the whole class carpet area a bit to fit more space for this. Hopefully it won't be too small!

my malleable area has the tools, cutters, rollling pins, number and letter cutters, stampers and also sheets from sparklebox such as a flowers to add the petals to or a crocodile which you roll a dice and add correct amount of teeth (actually thinking about this now this would be an enhancement) and also childrens names which they can make out of playdough. Later in the year i add key words or such like which they can use as templates to make words etc.

:o

I agree with jennywreny - a stash of chocolate is definately required!

My classroom is a mobile :o

So I have:-

A reading and listening area

construction area(doubles as carpet)

small world area

maths area

writing table

creative area inc mallable

and thats all that will fit!

I have a huge garden and an outside undercover area to make up for it.

containing:-

massive roleplay area

sand

water

maths area

creative area

the above are avaliable in all weather - unless its minus 9

in the garden i have

veg garden

climbing frame

bikes area

digging

big sand pit/stage

large construction

drain pipes

musical instruments

So it works altogether the only real trouble is - I am a full time gardener as wellas teacher. - The weeds are 6 foot high after the summer hols!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)