Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tsunami Relief

Susan

Thanks for that Susan. I was just about to suggest that if anybody wanted to donate the best place is the Red Cross.

I have just heard today that the daughter of my closest friend is safe and well in Cambodia and a colleague of my husband, who went to school with my two, is also safe in Thailand. My heart goes out to those parents who have not yet heard from their children.

But we must feel most for those who live in the area who have lost family members, their homes and their livelihood.

Linda

Thanks susan, I'm waiting until I've managed to speak to a Sri lankan family who used to come to playgroup, see if we can help any family she has out there directly. Failing that I've still got to wait until I get paid again, I've decided to send a weeks wages. xD:o

Thanks Susan,

We've donated what we could to the fund. I have family living in Madras so we had an anxious few days contacting everybody that we know, They are fine but there hasve been countless pople going about their everyday day lives who are now dead or missing.

Puts things in perspective and mkaes us realise how fragile life is.

Just when we think that Man controls everything...Mother Nature shows us who's in charge.

No wonder ancient civilizations prayed to mother Nature!

Couln't agree more about feeling helpless. We have donated but somehow it seems insufficient.

We have heard today that one of my sons friends on a gap year in Thailand is safe and well - her parents were constantly on the redial button for the helpline numbers to no avail. Thankfully they heard from her 24 hours later but what a long 24 hrs it was.

She owes her life to the locals who helped her literally run for her life, but its the locals left behind who have lost everything :o

The children are bound to ask questions or talk about the events when we get back to nursery next week, they may need some reassurance that this won't happen to us. They may also want to feel they are doing something for the disaster victims - we usually have a dressing up day and hold a collection but this doesn't seem appropriate under the circumstances. Has any one got any ideas?

I've been thinking about that Mimi, I was going to ask them to think about what they would miss / need if their home dissapeared (obviously with reasurances like you say) and link it to health and hygiene, toothbrushes, soap, clothes and personal colouring pencils, small toy, and then ask them to hep make up some parcels. I'm going to see if the christmas shoebox appeals are still running and if they're doing it for the area. Failing that we will do some fundraising so they can feel part of it.

That is a good idea about the shoe boxes Rea - we have done them for the last five years and the children really get enthusiastic about them, I will ask our local collection point to suggest it incase they haven't thought of it themselves.

Of course will keep you informed Rea and anyone else who is interested, but just incase they don't do any more shoe boxes I will put on my thinking cap for a new and different idea.