Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Where To Plan From?

HI all,

This year I'm moving from a Y 5/6 class to a R/1 class in a small primary. I've spent a while getting my environment ready and am (finally) quite pleased with the result; friends (good friends I might add), assure me it will be destroyed within minutes but at the moment, it looks lovely!!

So...I'm now sitting down to plan. Help!

I have the

[*]Practice Guidance for EYFS (came in the statutory framework pack), I believe this is called the Unique Child pack too, is this right? It has lots of cards with it.

[*]EYFS Profile handbook with the ELG in it

[*]National Strategy framework for lit & num

[*]QCA documents (because I also have Yr 1)

My question therefore is... which of these documents do you all use for your day to day objectives? The Unique Child one is the most comprehensive but it seems unworkable, so many pages, so many objectives and not easily accessible.

Looking forward to hearing your responses.

Thanks! :o

Hi emsie

I would start by looking at your routines of the day. I have greeting times, small and large group times and child initiated times which we call Plan / do / Review as we use High/scope. This will give a pattern to your day and will also help the children know what is happening and when.

In the first few weeks i would be planning for the routines and introducing the children to what is in my environment. I use the EYFS document and Letters and Sounds. We don't use the strategies. For your Y1 children you can plan for them with the info you should have from thier YR teacher.

As you observe children in PDR you will begin to see what interests them and then you will see more clearly what you will need to plan.

Good luck you will find it a bit of a culture shock but once you get into it I am sure you will love it as you will see everyone on this forum does!

HI all,

This year I'm moving from a Y 5/6 class to a R/1 class in a small primary. I've spent a while getting my environment ready and am (finally) quite pleased with the result; friends (good friends I might add), assure me it will be destroyed within minutes but at the moment, it looks lovely!!

So...I'm now sitting down to plan. Help!

I have the

[*]Practice Guidance for EYFS (came in the statutory framework pack), I believe this is called the Unique Child pack too, is this right? It has lots of cards with it.

[*]EYFS Profile handbook with the ELG in it

[*]National Strategy framework for lit & num

[*]QCA documents (because I also have Yr 1)

My question therefore is... which of these documents do you all use for your day to day objectives? The Unique Child one is the most comprehensive but it seems unworkable, so many pages, so many objectives and not easily accessible.

Looking forward to hearing your responses.

Thanks! :o

Yes I also use the EYFS document (plan to the development matters statements/early learning goals) and use Letters and sounds for phonics. The EYFS Profile handbook is useful for your assessment when completing the profile at the end of each half term and then you can plan to meet any obvious gaps you notice in your class or for specific children.

Good luck! You'll love it! Oh and you can teach your children to respect the environment and keep it tidy!

It is hugely crucial that you have been given the correct and most recent version of the EYFS Profile handbook - if it is the pink file you need to ditch it, if it is the blue paperback version then that's good!!! I'm very worried that there will be a sudden dearth of the proper ones as people move around my settings and schools only got 2 copies in the first place!!

Really have a good root around on the CD rom or online - there are very good in-depth papers located in the different sections, I've attached a link for the Planning one.

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.g...344?uc=force_uj

This will give you some key info.

Have fun!

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)