Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Plnning For Whole Group Or Key Groups?

Sorry for such a vague title. I really wanted to tiltle it: 'Planning - ARRRRRRRGH!!!'

I am the Pre School room leader with 2 members of staff and we each have a key group of 7 children who attend all day from one to 5 days a week. We follow the borough planning format of a medium term plan for general ideas and Development Matters coverage. Once a fortnight we fill in a discussion sheet for which we each take an observation of 2 key children and suggest next steps. I then create a 2 weekly plans to cover the next fortnight planning. These plans are tweaked as we go along.

The problem is that I hate these plans as it means that over a period of a month only 12 of our 21 kids are being covered in the planning, the discussion sheet I'm currently working on has observations on CLLD for 2 children, but no observations on PD so how do I plan for that? I do all the written planning so there goes the whole shared responsibility stuff the EYFS bangs on about and it does not include continuous activities or how an activity links to more than one learning areas (something OFSTED are banging on about).

For the past 2 years I've stuck with this because it is the Local Authortiy who came up with the format and my Advisory teacher thinks it is ok. Personally I think it sucks and am dreading what OFSTED will say, so I thought it's time I did something about it

I am considering doing the discussion sheets weekly with some kind of table to ensure that over a 6 week period each child has an observation linked to each area of learning with activites tailored to suit them and each Key Person contributes more to the plans but I have no idea of how to do this. Has anyone got any suggestions - the only thing I can thnk of when I look at the plans is to tear them up into tiny shreds, stick them in my hamster cage and go back to bed!

Here is an example of my weekly plan - feel free to slate it, I need all the advice possible

week_2.doc

Edited by Guest

Here is an example of my weekly plan - feel free to slate it, I need all the advice possible

Firstly I would like to hope that people here will be very glad to give constructive feedback on your planning and won't be tempted to 'slate' it, yalisrib!

Having worked with this planning system for a couple of years, I think you're right to want to move it on in the direction you describe. I have downloaded your document and will most probably come back later - I am being torn away from my laptop, but didn't want to read and run without saying something!

I am always very interested in other people's planning, so I'll be watching this with interest!

Hope you get some really good advice/feedback!

Maz

I think your planning is really clear and covers everything...I like it...I love to see how others plan and this is a good example, it is a personal thing but this format appeals to me...i really cannot tweak mine at the moment as I have just introduced a new format to staff but I think if I need to change, and staff feel the format I have done is not working i may borrow/steal a few ideas of yours!

I have devised mine from beg, borrowing and stealing from the forum and we are all friends here and don't mind....like I said it is a personal thing... :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)