Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Qualifications For Ta's Working In Reception?

I have a new TA joining me in September in Reception who has no formal qualifications. I have voiced my concerns to the Head but wondered if anyone knew the legal side? We are expecting OFSTED this year and I am worried that this could have a bad impression to start with!!

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum, janebeth!

It seems the EYFS has nothing to say about what qualifications a TA in Reception must have. The Statutory Framework says:-

Children in reception classes in maintained schools

11 The EYFS does not place ratio and qualification requirements on reception classes in maintained schools provided they fall within the legal definition of an infant class (i.e. a class containing pupils the majority of whom will reach the age of five, six, or seven during the course of the school year). Such classes are already subject to infant class size legislation: an infant class must not contain more than 30 pupils while an ordinary teaching session is conducted by a single school teacher. See page 17 of the Practice Guidance for the Early Years Foundation Stage booklet for further information.

Page 17 of the EYFS Practice Guidance says:-

Children attending reception classes in maintained schools

3.22 The EYFS does not place any ratio and qualification requirements on reception classes in maintained schools, provided they fall within the definition of an infant class. An infant class is defined in section 4 of the School Standards and Framework Act 1998 as a class containing pupils the majority of whom will reach the age of five, six or seven during the course of the school year. Such classes are subject to infant class size legislation (the School Standards and Framework Act 1998 as amended by the Education Act 1998) which limits the size of an infant class to 30 pupils per ‘school teacher’.

Is it my imagination or do both publications say the same thing?

Maz

As far as I am aware there are no requirements for TAs to be qualified.

It might be considered good practise for a TA in reception to have a recognised qualification but you are lucky to have a TA.

I would also say that qualifications aren't the be all and end all. I've had some level 3 TAs work with me who have struggled in year R and other TAs and even parent helpers with only basic qualifications or none who are absolutely fantastic. I worked with a brand new TA a few years back and she did her level 2 while with me in year 2, and although it was hard to start with because she joined part way through the year in March, but by the time we started in the september she was fantastic and I had moulded her in the way I wanted! Just be really clear as to her role and what you expect of her etc... the importance of playing with the children, observation etc... and I'm sure she'll be great. Try and get her on a EYFS course, mind you I've been trying to get one of our TAs on a such course for over a year now. Last year it was full, this year there doesn't seem to be one running for TAs and she isn't allowed on the preschool/nursery based! Aaarrrggghhh!!!!

Good luck :o

There is no requirement to have a TA in reception so no minimum qualification

However Ed Balls has written to all schools/LAs/staff laying out plans

The vision of the 21st Century school will need everyone in the workforce to play their part in improving outcomes for pupils, families and the wider community, and will mean a growing role for those in schools who work with

teachers, including:

- all staff working to support pupils’ learning in the classroom will have, or will be working towards a Level 3 qualification;

SchoolsWP_support_staff.pdf

I think maybe you should worry about how the TA is with the children/ the whole reception class ethos rather than trying to think about impressing the "O" people with a qualification!

As said previously a bit of paper (indicating SOME sort of qualification) doesn't mean a good TA.

I hope you are ready to work as a team........... despite your reservations about the Ta's lack of qualifications!

Hi Janebeth

If you wanted your TA to go on some half day or day courses/training it might be worth checking with your LA - they aren't necessarily qualifications but all the EYFS courses that are open to teachers in E. Susex are also open to TAs. Might be the same in your area? X

Thanks for all your replies and advice. Just wanted to point out though that I was not questioning the ability of TA's without qualifications, as I to have worked with many excellent TA's who have none.

The reason for my query was because her previous background is Year 6 and she has no experience of Year R. But will look and see if I can get her booked onto some EYFS courses.

Thanks again for you advice. xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)