Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning Fairy Tales

Hi everyone looking for some advice, as I'm a NQT im finding that I am still planning activities then discovering they wont work! :o Our topic for next term is fairytales and traditional tales. Has anyone got any ideas that they have used which worked well or any ideas for role play? Thanks for any help :D

Hi,

Fairy Tales Ideas- children pick their favourite tale and create a book of sketches of the characters using pen, charcoal and pencil- You will be surprised at what 4 year olds can create!

Ask the children to design a hat for their favourite character made from balloons and paper mache- then painted and decorated.

When I did this I found that only 4/5 fairy tales were chosen so i grouped the children according to the fairytale. When they have worked on their characters and created a character hat i have a dressing up day where the children come dressed as their character. We make food- biscuits and sandwiches and we have a marquee put up in the classroom (one of those cheap ones with no sides from WWorths) and we have a fairytale ball.

I also have let the children choose their own ending to the fairytales- acting it out and or recording it onto video/audio cassette.

We have also used mixed media to decorate wire mesh 3ft bases of their characters- which unless you have a lot of room in your classroom can be quite clumbersome.

If you have a wooden basic climbing frame i have made a castle from that using card for the sides and i created a turret from corrugated roll- the children loved decorating this.

I also had a letterbox in my writing area and we did the Jolly postman book A Ahlberg- the children wrote letters to their favourite characters and posted them.

I could probably come up with lots lots more but its the last day of term and my brain in mashed- hope some of these have been useful :o:D

hi,

you could read the children the 3 little pigs and the children can use the construction kits or junk modelling to create the houses and see which ones stay up.

the role play could then be the best house for the pigs to stay in.

or read the 3 billy goats gruff and the childre design a brigde to walk on, again using construction kits or junk modelling.

or read golilocks and the 3 bears and the children could take the route goldilocks did through the forest to the house (setting up an obstacle course for them to follow). the roamer could be used as well for this. also this idea could be used for hansel and gretal as they find their way to the house.

hope this helps.

Ask a visitor to dress up as a character ie: Grandma from Little Red Riding Hood - children can ask her questions about her ordeal. When you have done this a few times the children could take on a role.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a great time doing Cinderella. Children made carriages and castles with construction kits and junk models. Made glittery party dresses and carriages for card Cinderellas- they just love those sequins. They designed invitations on computer.

We wrote invitations to all staff and nursery and we then had a mock wedding with children taking the roles of vicar bride groom etc. The invitations had clocks on so we could write the time and we used HFwords - Come to the Wedding at .....They made wedding bouquets, buttonholes, hats etc- all 'guests were given button holes (cooks, Head Teacher, governors). They baked cakes and a 'wedding cake' and we had party food for the wedding reception complete with disco. The 'guests took it very seriously and sent replies and they also turned up with confetti! Official photographer came too.

For our display when we did traditional fairy stories we did Cinderella before and after. So one side of the board was Cinderella in her rags and looing very sad, then we transformed her on the other side into her party clothes and looking very happy! A good one for talking about emotions and making comparisons.

Linda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)