Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ict Roamers

Help

I have had a roamer sitting under my table for sometime now as I do not know the first thing about how to use it with my class. Is there anyone out there who can help or give some suggestions. Please. :o

We discussed this a while ago and the instructions are on a thread about roamers.

I am on my way out so can't find it now... if somelse doesn't put a link into it then I will have alook over the weekend.

I also have an instruction sheet I made somewhere will dig it out and post it.

L

• 4 weeks later...

Ask your ICT co ordinator for th cd rom from DFES Learning and Teaching using ICT Foundatio stage. There's a video clip and a couple of lesson plans using a floor turtle(not roamer - similar but smaller.) I've been using roamer this week during ofsted to move backwards and forwards. Counting lines for maths.

Hi, we too have a Roamer - we use him to move up and down a blank track ( shire sealed and selotaped together) to which you can add numbers, shapes, letters, words, small world creatures etc etc.

We have some large base boards with different scenes on them ( 4 large pieces of card taped together ) the boards take some making but last a long time. Another colleague made small pictures of foods from a supermarket which are placed randomly on the floor Roamer has to visit each one and return to the shopping trolley. You could also place items on the floor for Roamer to reach or create obstacle courses using cones and skipping ropes

We also construct builidngs with blocks and various other construction kits and ask the children to program Roamer to stop at different numbered houses.

I believe you can buy ' jackets' to change Roamer into different characters (e.g. from a story). you can even draw with him if you put a fibre tip pen down the centre.

I think that the TTS catalogue / website might be able to help you too. I know you can buy all sorts of attachments and supporting resources - at a cost.

Hope this inspires you.

Wow! Some fantastic ideas there junerichardsob :D I like the idea of putting words on a bank grid - so simple but I've not thought of that. This could reinforce word recognition or could be used to collect word cards to make a simple sentence. We start the children off just switching the Roamer on and moving it forwards. Then we use the number line and get the children to work out what number they need to type in to get to a certain number (good for counting on/addition). We made a 'garage' just a cardboard box and the children have to get Roamer into the garage.

Harricroft

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)