Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

5 Day Jabadao Training Course

I am about to book myself on the five day Development Movement Play Certificate Course in Oxford starting in October. Before I finally commit myself I wondered if anyone has done the course and could tell me how it has impacted on their personal practice, and that of their setting.

It costs £450 and I intend to pay for it with some of my GLF. The five days range over a period of a year, so represents a long-term commitment and I want to be sure about the potential benefits for me and my group before I sign on the line!

If anyone is prepared to share experiences I would be very grateful, especially about what project(s) they did over the period of the course - and what the lasting benefits have been.

Thank you in anticipation!

Maz

Two of our nursery nurses did the course a couple of years ago. (one working with nursery age group and one working in reception)

They both found it hard work at the time - think it involved case studies etc from memory.

We set up a movement area based on the things they had learnt. Two years on we still use aspects - lycra in circle time and bits and pieces in the hall

We set up a movement area based on the things they had learnt. Two years on we still use aspects - lycra in circle time and bits and pieces in the hall

I read your thread about it Marion - I know they were very enthusiastic on their return from the initial training! What would you say have been the benefits to the children? And would you say they have adapted their classroom practice in the light of what they learned?

Maz

I think we have probably found it most useful for children with obvious mild physical difficulties although certain things have become part of everyday working - not expecting children to sit cross legged and being more understanding/accepting of wiggling and moving around for example.

To be honest the nursery nurse who was working with me left to have a baby and with all the other initiatives Jabadao has probably been neglected. I think if you had asked staff a year ago they would have been very positive about the benefits and it's probably something we need to think about in September.

We had 3 of the practitioners from pre-school a few years back. It was free training provided by the LA.

It was implemented at first then trailed off and now none of the practitioners are still with us.

I think that with your commitment you would not only enjoy the training but the way it would be used in your setting.

Kirsty xx

One of my staff completed a course last year and to be honest they enjoyed it but it was quite alot of stuff we already did.

The course was one day and free but I do not know whether I would pay to go on it. Is there a schedule of what you will be looking at and when to see if it is worth that amount of money!

Is there a schedule of what you will be looking at and when to see if it is worth that amount of money!

Yes, it is very clear about what will be covered and when - and as Marion says there is also independent study to complete over the year or so covered by the training sessions. It would seem to offer me something to get my teeth into after EYPS and appears to offer a different way of working with young children.

I was just hoping that someone would be able to offer me some concrete evidence about how their practice had changed/evolved having done the same course.

I'll have to give it some more thought!

Maz

I haven't been on course but did my comparitive study for foundation degree on DMP (Jabadao) and found it really interesting. Sadly noone in my setting has even read my study which is rather infuriating yet some staff/committee members I work with are keen for myself and another member of staff to attend the training. It is quite popular here in Shrops as a load of EYP's were given the training for free (nice perk, am wondering if I will be as lucky next year! lol) which is why I visited the setting that I did. They now have one session of 45 minutes per week dedicated to a DMP session which the children absolutely love. It has made them think about the wider context of the learning environment, how practitioners encourage children to be active and the resources they provide.

I could email you my study to show the benefits for the other setting (a pack away based in v hall) and the common constraints. As others have said it is a big commitment which I believe the whole staff team need to be on board with, but the benefits I have seen seem to outweigh the disad's and I personally found it really interesting learning all about the brain and the impact movement has upon development.

Good luck!

Edited by ExtraordinaryChicken

I think we have probably found it most useful for children with obvious mild physical difficulties although certain things have become part of everyday working - not expecting children to sit cross legged and being more understanding/accepting of wiggling and moving around for example.

To be honest the nursery nurse who was working with me left to have a baby and with all the other initiatives Jabadao has probably been neglected. I think if you had asked staff a year ago they would have been very positive about the benefits and it's probably something we need to think about in September.

what is it about sitting crossed legged please that you have stopped them and is there any supporting lit. I am trying to convince my setting of this but need something to back up my argument thank you

killowengirl

I could email you my study to show the benefits for the other setting (a pack away based in v hall) and the common constraints.

Yes please! Will PM you my email address!

Thanks for your positive comments - its great to get good feedback. I'm lucky in that I have the clout to implement something like this in my setting, and to provide the necessary underpinning training/knowledge to hopefully promote buy in from the team. My deputy is also very positive so a two-pronged attack is possible, too!

Maz

ah I am jealous you have the power to do so,lol. My leader is absolutely fantastic but has slightly less knowledge of theories so she wants to understand all different perspectives before launching a specific 'practice' or theory within the setting. She was also concerned about all staff needing to be on board which at present I don't think they would be- more because we are focusing so much on getting EYFS etc as right as we possibly can that such a strong ethos would perhaps throw them a bit as 3/6 are new level 2's so need to build up their foundation base of knowledge and theory, as opposed to them simply disagreeing with the principles of DMP, if that makes sense!?

Would you and your deputy be booked onto the training together then or will she be your first contact to relay info back? Will you have to do research on how your training is being implemented in setting and how the children are responding etc?

Would you and your deputy be booked onto the training together then or will she be your first contact to relay info back? Will you have to do research on how your training is being implemented in setting and how the children are responding etc?

In all honesty I'm not sure yet until I go along to the first two days of the training. I am going to arrange rotas so that I will be supernumerary again in September so that I will have time to focus on what I should be doing!

So I will be able to introduce concepts to staff, explain why we need to do/change certain things and go from there. If the focus is on providing DMP sessions then I can give a fixed time/day in the schedule to do that. I know there is a 'project' of some kind to do so that will give me something to get my teeth into!

I think I shall book my place, look at all the literature etc and take it from there.

Thanks so much for sending me your research report - looks very impressive from what I've seen so far!

Maz

I had coffee with my NN and she said the first two days were mainly very practical - actually doing the movements as if she were a child, with some theory behind the programme (says her course notes are in a file at school ) She was then given a task to do in school and had to report back on progress over the next two session and the final session was a presentation of the project showing Jabadao in action in school. She did a video of children using large soft play equipment. This was over the course of a school year.

• 5 months later...
Hi HappyMaz, just wondering how you're getting on with your course? Have you started it yet?

I decided not to do it in the end, ExtraordinaryChicken. I've put it on hold for now - but who knows: maybe in the future!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)