Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

3 Hour Offer - Pay And Conditions

Hello all,

A little bit of help/advice required... I am a nursery teacher on a .5 contract and my current teaching hours are 9-11.30am, from september we are offering 3 hours and i will teach until 12pm. My head has contacted HR and says my contract will stay the same and i will recieve the same pay, is this correct? Has anyone else had similar issues?

Many thanks xx

I'm afraid I think that you will find that this is one of the anomalies of part time teaching.

I worked 9-12am teaching a part time reception class and received .5 too. Our afternoon is not quite 2 hours so I was actually teaching more than half the day. Some schools pay .6 for 5 mornings for this very reason and .4 for 5 afternoons but I dont believe there is an accepted norm.

I suggest you contact your union and ask their advice.

You need to look at the hours you are paid for and work out your directed time budget. If you are working 0.5 you work out the hours on what a full time teacher is doing throughout your school. I would imagine the rest of the teachers in your school are working roughly a 3 hour morning, so if you are 0.5 then HR is correct that your contract does not need changing. A full days teaching is counted as 6 1/2 hours. If you are only paid for 2 1/2 hours on an hourly rate, then you do need to have your contract changed. I know that the rules for part time pay and conditions changed last September, so it might be worth checking with your union how this affects you in your particular circumstances.

In our nursery the children can stay until 12, but the teacher leaves at 11.30.

We use the extra half an hour entitlement for lunch club!

but doesnt that then affect the ratios?

I must admit if I was contracted for 2.5 hours then thats what Id do, leave at 11.30

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)