Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Books On A Garden Theme.

This is the first time I have started a thread so I assume I just type in here!

When we go back to school after the hols the whole school is following a similar topic. We did this last year and did Pirates, which worked well. This year however the topic is 'The Secret Garden' for KS2 and the idea is that Foundation and KS1 focus on a book based around this kind of a theme.

Does anyone have any good book suggestions based around a secret/magical/fantasy type garden? I'm struggling to come up with anything and when I look on search engines I just get lots of books about growing, planting, flowers etc.

I teach in Nursery. I think Y1 & Y2 are doing The Selfish Giant. Where the Wild Things Are has been suggested for Foundation but I'm not sure about it.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Where the Wild Things Are has been suggested for Foundation but I'm not sure about it.

I love it!!! Once turned a full room (it was a television room when we had to watch programmes 'live' :o ) into a magical forest/garden with 6 foot high wild things-it was super!!

There is a DVD of a stage production of WTWTA which I found in my local classical music shop but when googling for it I came across this

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386117/

It's due to be released in December 2009 ( a bit late for the start of next term) but what a great resource for the future.

My niece is a huge fan of Tom's midnight garden (on DVD) and even though she is only 4 she is 'glued' to her seat when watching it - it does have a secret garden element to it and you could use to show as a stimulus.

Lxx

Could growing not be classed as magical? Our children are amazed and excited at the sprouting sunflowers that are taller than them and the potato shoots that show great promise. Jack and the bean stalk might me an idea, we grew some beans which we need to eat next week and don't get me started on teh purple carrots :o

we have a great book - the snail trail or something - i'll check that for you. It's about seeing the garden through the perspective of a snail, how huge and unrecognisable everything is

we have a great book - the snail trail or something - i'll check that for you. It's about seeing the garden through the perspective of a snail, how huge and unrecognisable everything is

Snail trail is a great book - i used to use it in our gardens topic in year R - very simple words and clear pictures. The children loved it :o

My 3 favourite garden books:

Eddie's Garden by Sarah Garland, The Good Brown Earth (can't remember the author) - these two aren't fantastical, but great in the sense of all growing being magical, and The Good Brown Earth very beautifully written, quite awe-and-wonder-ish!

... and Carrie Hepple's Garden which is out of print but has wonderful illustrations and definitely has a fantastical quality to it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)