Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Area Reception

Has anyone got a tried and tested planning format for the outdoor area? I would really like to crack it next year! Do you plan for all areas, or stick to an area of learning? It must be very time consuming to ensure that all areas are provided for all the time, so wondered if it is ok to plan by area. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading and happy holidays!

Maggie

we just put lots of stuff outside - the sand tray is permanantly outside - we also put out pop up tent, trays for water (if not too cold) animals / dinosaurs in with straw/ leaves etc, construction on large mat, writing area on picnic tables along with books, other mats will have whatever the children would like outside

surely its not much different to planning for indoor - unless youre using it for a focus activity. Start with an aesthetically pleasing area for the children to be in - roughly designated areas with everything on a larger scale where possible / necessary and enticing resources strategically placed/ supplied for the children to initiate their learning along the lines of your objectives;. Plus of course - enthusiastic staff on hand to observe/ encourage/ scaffold where necessary.

:o

Thats what Id like and what Ive seen at 1 other school graded super dooper by the ECERS people.

Would love to hear other ideas on this topic!!

,I was planning like a maniac for outisde, covering all the areas, but I found that the children were not interested at all in what was out, they would always ask for more; I am now planning daily from the children's interests, and it is going fantastically well. Therefore myself and my TA will plan to get things from the shed that are led from their interests or are things where perhaps we have noticed they need to some more support or challenge in. We have also reduced the amount of things that are out, so apart from the continious stuff like sand and water, we try to limit it to four other activities/resources. Hope this helps a little

I am now planning daily from the children's interests, and it is going fantastically well.

I like the sound of this!!

Do the children free flow indoor and outdoor at some tomes during the day.

sorry for the delay in replying - a manic last week!!

The children do have free flow indoors and outdoors during child initiated time, during teacher led time, there may be a group outside with an adult though. My day kind of goes like this:

9- 10 - self registration/teacher led activities

10 - Snack time

10:20 - 10:40 playtime

10:40 - 10:55 - whole class teaching

10:55 - 12:00 - child initiated

12:00 - 12:15 - phonics

1:30 - whole class teaching

1:45 - 2:50 child initiated

2:50 - 3:20 - story time / tidy up/ songs etc

hope this helps

nicky

Thanks nicky. Know what you mean about a busy week. :o . Do you have a sort of rota for adults outside. We only have 2 adults, being a reception class, but could possibly free flow with the reception class next door so there would be a rota of 4 adults during child initiated times. Does anyone else do this and does it work?

We have two reception classes with a teacher and teaching assistant for each class. We also have a shared indoor area. We have free flow between the indoors and outside all day, we have a rota and there is always one member of staff outside. We usually don't have the outdoor person doing any adult initiated activities they support play.

We plan resources and activity ideas on laminated sheets weekly and this is displayed by the door so all staff including mid day supervisors know the reason behind the resources.

S

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)