Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bubble Mix

louby loo

I did try making bubble mixture but with little success. I used the various recipes you can find if you google. A few bubbles yes, but lots of stinging eyes etc so I now use the Tesco's big bottles. They are just over a pound for a litre I think. Stock up now though because its a seasonal item and will soon be gone again until next summer!

Hi Louby Lou, I too have tried making my own bubbles from a recipe given at the Science Museum, I have to say it was unsuccessful and a bit expensive, and frankly a let down. I would suggest using the proper stuff to avoid any disappointment in what after all, is a wonderful activity.

Yes, I know what you mean about the stinging eye's

I did it a couple of times about 5 years ago - once it was a great success, and once a complete disarster!!

I have tired googling it - found a few recipes, but was hoping someone might have a tried and tested good one.

xxxxxxxx

1/2 cup of washing up liquid

5 cups water

2 tablespoons glycerine (available at the pharmacy or supermarket).

we had someone come in and do a bubble session with the children and this the recipe he used. he made a large quantity in a bucket.

the children absolutely loved it.

he made a wand out of a coat hanger - to make large bubbles and was blowing bubbles with his hands

hope this helps and enjoy...

p.s he recommended scooping any foam off the top once mixture is made as that makes a difference.

Edited by Guest

In our setting the children love bursting the bubbles as much as blowing them and if you have used washing up liquid it can be very painful. Personally I think you would need to do a risk assessment which would probably make up your mind to buy the real stuff from Tesco's which doesn't appear to sting - tested again today!!!

I have no idea what you are talking about! Bubbles with hula hoops? As in crisps?

ha i have never heard of it either, i would think its crisps, if not you would need a lot of mixture for hula hoops as in round your waist

love to know how to do it though

ziller

We did it today using Janine's recipe...... and it worked well!!

We made the mixture first thing- the children knew the risks - i.e we talked about the effects of putting hands either near eyes or mouths when using the mixture, we also talked about whether or not our 'experiment' would actually work.

We did it out in the open after leaving the mix to stand for about 2 hours, the children loved it - as did other field users!!

For those who are not sure what it is. We had a big bowl of 'bubble mixture' put it in the tuff spot and then used a hula hoop - not the ediable kind!!- as the wand to try and make big bubbles.

I know I could have bought the mixture - but we wanted the science part of actually making the mix from raw ingredients and seeing if would work or not.

xxx

Edited by louby loo

Thank you for the explanation! Looby Loo I thought there was some secret recipe to make bubbles out of hula hoop crisps!

I have made the bubble mixture before - it really works well and is much cheaper than a pre-made mixture.