Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Entry Arrangements For Reception/f1

Hi

As we've got a much larger class than usual starting in September (lots of appeal entries!), we've decided to stagger entry over the first few weeks. So - the oldest half of the class start doing mornings only and the younger half do afternoons only (this is a shorter session). Over the course of two weeks the older children begin to do full days and the younger switch to mornings and by the beginning of the third week they're all full time.

We thought this would be a much better way to get to know the children and stop them being overwhelmed and that it would allow us more time to discuss any concerns or issues with parents. however all we seem to have is parents moaning about how inconvenient it is and how their children won't think they've really started school if they're only doing half days.

I'd just like to know if other people stagger the intduction of new children in similar ways? Are we doing it wrong? Is this a typical parent reaction?

I'm a bit depressed about it as we thought this would be best for the children! :o

Thanks

Are you only hearing from the ones who are feeling inconvenienced?

I would have been very happy with this induction for my child and would have been pleased that you had put so much thought into doing what is right for the children.

Hi - yeah we get much the same reaction from our parents each year - they always tell me their little one is fine to start full time, dont know why we need to stagger it etc etc. We do two weeks of part time - first week half in the morning half in the afternoon, the following week they swap and have lunch too. For one cohort a few years ago my old head made me try having them all in full time from day one - it was a complete nightmare for both the children and myself so i now stick to my guns smile politely at the parents and explain it is to ensure their child has a happy start to their school life!!!

I only have 14 starting, so I am having them all in mornings only for the first two weeks, and then mornings and lunch for the next two weeks. During the fourth week I am having parents appointments to discuss when the children will be starting full time. Given as all bar 3 of the children are born after christmas, I am in no hurry to take them full time unless they really are ready.

Mind you I am expecting battles with all the parents, as they do believe that their children should be full-time from day one! mainly to fit in around their work committments, which really annoys me.

I sometimes think no matter how hard you try there are some parents who won't be happy!!

However we have had this discussion on here before and my thought is that I can see the parents point of view if they are trying to work.

This arrangement is not useful to them!!

They have probably had to stress to get the 6/7 week break covered and then they will still not have their children in full time to school at the start of September. Those with older children will be coming and going alot!!

Also we had children who were doing all day evereyday in the nursery and there wouldn't be (in my opinion) any logic to them going part time to go to school!!!!

I see you are trying to ease the burden of a mass start, but its how we do it in our reception every year, and if theres a problem with any specific child/ children this can be addressed if needed.

Whether staggered entry helps anyone except the teacher is indeed down to the individual children I think!!!!!!

We have 3 groups of 10 children admitted in age order.

Group 1-Mornings only 3 days-Mon, Tuesday, Wednesday-2 days Thurs, Frid-mornings plus lunch and go at 12:30 Monday-6th day all day

Group 2-Do the same sequence but start Wednesday so do half day-Wed, Thurs, Fri-plus lunch Mon, Tues-Full days Wed

Group 3-Start the second Monday

Sounds really complicated now I've written it down!! Parents know whatever day they start it is one week before the fulltime day.By the beginning of the 3rd week all children are fulltime. It staggers the children staying to lunch which helps the supervisors and gives them more time with new starters. There's an overlap in that lunch starts at 11:45 but we call end of the morning 12pm for parents so we are left with a small group of 10 for 15 mins to discuss the morning and we are only dismissing 10 children at a time which gives us time to build up a relationship with the parents.

It is hard work on staff staggering like this but it pays off with more settled children and good relationships with parents.I wouldn't leave my dog for a full day with people he didn't know in a strange place with lots of noise and I wouldn't like to do it to a child. It can be difficult for parents but with lots of notice ie. new parents meetings in June they get plenty of notice to make arrangements.

Edited by Guest

In my previous job we staggered entry by age and they were all in full time by half term. This did make it easier for us aswell as the parents. Of course we also added that we would look at each child's needs and if they needed to be part-time for longer then we took account of this.

I think the real challenge is helping parents to understand that school is completely different to daycare and in my experience all children are shattered after spending a whole day at school which is less time than in daycare - it's a different kind of tired and although it's still the EYFS there is still a 'school' pressure on the children and of course us, that is totally different to daycare! Parents soon realise this when they come in and tell you how tired their child is a few weeks in and they were never that tired before!!

Hope this helps!

:o

Here is our induction process-

Week 1 (3 days) Home visits

Week 2 half children in morning and lunch. other half in afternoon

week 3 swap over mornings/afternoons.

Week 4 all in full time

We have worked hard over the last 4 years to develop this as well as all the induction we do in the summer term. We have tried hard to make sure that there is minimal disruption to parents while making sure we do what is best for the children. We try to let the parents know as early on as possible what the arrangements are so that they can plan ahead. So far we have had no complaints this year!

I stagger. It's much better for everyone. You get to know them better, they are less scared and overwhelmed and you get time to settle them down.

I do 15 coming for morning only in first week and the other 15 come for only afternoon.

Second week they all come together and stay for lunch, leaving to go home at 1.15pm

Third week all in, all day.

Works for me.

I had my new parents meeting tonight and actually most parents were fine about the arrangements and really appreciative that we're trying to do the best for their child. Next year I'll make sure that we don't release letters about the arrangements before I've had time to talk to the parents about it. It's funny isn't it how the negative comments are always the ones we take to heart! I also agree with all those of you who say parents don't like their work arrangements upset!

Anyway thanks for all your comments, they've reminded me exactly why staggering the entry of 30 new children is the right thing to do and made it easier for me to smile patiently at those parents who want to moan a bit about it!

Thankyou ! :o

we do not stagger our entry all our children are in on first day as they are part of foundatioon stage unit and mnay of them attend all day and many all day everyday so this would be a step back for them to stagger. however we do trll parents that we consider all childrens needs and that we will do it on an indiividual basis that if they do not settle well we may cut session or stagger for indiviual children.

If only all counties had EYFS units - or even still, Year R classes were actually part of Nursery and not in school at all!

In my county we have a handful of Nurseries attached to schools and we are one of the largest counties! If we had nursery classes this would actually make the transition into school so much easier.

:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)