Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Top Tips For Circle Time

Hi everyone.

I am currently undergoing a re-structure of our daily routine at my pre-school. I would love to introduce a regular circle time session but have come up against a few problems that I hope you can help me with.

We are a sessional nursery, running for 3 hours, within a village hall. Our sessions have 24 children in them every day.

My main concerns are

a) how often to run a circle time (daily, weekly etc.),

b) how many children should participate at any given time (bearing in mind we have the possibility of splitting the group into 12 and 12 (indoors and outdoors) but no other space to put them in) and

c) what time during the session a circle time seems to work best?

I would LOVE your suggestions as to how I can bring this quality time into the setting in an effective way. Also, if you have a spare minute to give me a few circle time activity ideas, I would be grateful for those too.

THANK YOU!

Helen has written a fabulous article in the resources section of the forum which is very helpful. Circle time has always been my interest and I have implemented it in different ways with many different activities and I found this article helpful and very interesting.

killowengirl

Hi littleangel (love your username!)

Hope you have found what you are looking for in 'resources'.

Just popped in to say........ I love 'circletime'........we often have a group of twelve children and find that no problem at all! :o

On occasion we split into key groups.........so anything between 4/6 children.

Sunnyday

we have daily circle time when the children are grouped with their keyperson, up 7 children. We do it midmorning and will usually have 2 groups inthe same room at opposite ends and another group outside, you just have to be mindful not to get too noisy and excited :o

We do it daily as we incoporate a language group/session within it as we have high numbers of EAL.

Helen has written a fabulous article in the resources section of the forum which is very helpful. Circle time has always been my interest and I have implemented it in different ways with many different activities and I found this article helpful and very interesting.

killowengirl

I've just taken a look in the resources section but cannot find Helen's article, does anybody know what it it called or in which section it is in?

Thanks

no that wasn't the one I was looking at, I will try to find it again and let you know what it was called

killowengirl

The 'Going Round In Circles' article was simplay brilliant. Thankyou for the link. Am now anticipating the other forum article.

Thanks for all the links. They have been brilliant. I feel I understand the concept behind circle time more now. I am still concerned that I am not going to be able to deliver it properly due to lack of space and too many children. Like I say, I can split the group indoors and outdoors to enable each group to have 12 children, but according to some of the articles, they recommend 4-6 children for the age group I'm working with. I just can't see how I can incorporate this, when I would have to find somewhere else for the other 20 children to be!

Any ideas?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)