Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Computer Disposal.

Susan

we are lucky to be having a new computer suite installed but the logistics are beginning to give me more than a headache.

IF you have done this recently, how or where were your old machines disposed of?

RM told me they would take them away but when Ive enquired about the nitty gritty of that, a £4 charge per item is going to be levied---thats a considerable sum of money that I would like to avoid if possible!

I would 'advertise' them locally! My other half got rid of the computers in his office and they went to a variety of local charities who were exceedingly grateful and happy to come and collect what we were throwing out! Obviously we made sure nothing was left stored on the PC's and actually it was quite a humbling experience, the gratitude was sincere and genuine. They were in our book 'old' computers but to small struggling local charities they were a godsend.

Thanks Lorna. Im aware of the WEE directive.

Marion, I'd happily donate them if I knew how to make sure they were data free to go. Any advice on how to clean them up.

Also, I cant guarantee the life span, does that matter?

We "rent" a technician who comes in half a day a fortnight and he completely wiped all data. The ones we donated were various ages and operating systems but apparently the company does a refurbishment and adds software.

Do be careful if there's sensitive data on them and make sure they really do get properly wiped by a proper IT person.

I've been advised that the only way to really guarantee your data can't be accessed is to open the computer, remove the hard disk and either retain this or smash it with a hammer. You can find details online of how to do this.

Sorry that's probably not what you were wanting to hear!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)