Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Matching National Curriculum To Eyfs Areas Of Learning

Dear all,

I am starting a Reception/Year 1 job in September. My new head is happy for me to plan to the six areas of learning for Y1, but I think I need to sort out the National Curriulum KS1 subject skills into the 6 areas of learning. I am planning to cut and paste the NC skills into the 6 areas of learning to provide myself with a long term plan for the year, then I can highlight skills as I cover them. Before I spend hours doing this I was wondering if anyone else had done something similar??? If not, once I have done it I will put it on here for the rest of you!!

Thanks!

P.S. I think I may have accidentally also posted this under ICT. Oops, I am still new to this!

Featherstone Education has a book "Managing the Curriculum in Mixed Age Classes" which marries the NC with the Early Learning Goals, which may help you with this. There is also another one from Featherstone called 'Making it work in Year One'.

I expect someone else will be along soon to help as well.

I also have a book from Birmingham called Making Links which is very useful but to be really honest it is not too difficult and the doing of it for yourself really helps you to get it into your head where everything fits!

thanks

Just got the book managing the curriculum in mixed aged classes and it is just what we needed. We are running a reception, reception year 1 and a year 1 class so two year rolling program was exactly what was required. Think we will stick to their themes this year but as skills are listed can easily change themes as long as covering the skills. showed head he was very impressed with it too saves lots of work.

Here is some things from my LEA on mixed staged planning. The R/1 tecaher at my school found it useful this year. Unfortunatly the link I really wanted to give you (bottom of the page) doesn't seem to work! Hope it's useful though!

Cambs examples

kathrynmc,

If you look at the suggested new national curriculum, it may be worth using the rough headings from there as that is the way it is likely to go.

Dear all,

I am starting a Reception/Year 1 job in September. My new head is happy for me to plan to the six areas of learning for Y1, but I think I need to sort out the National Curriulum KS1 subject skills into the 6 areas of learning. I am planning to cut and paste the NC skills into the 6 areas of learning to provide myself with a long term plan for the year, then I can highlight skills as I cover them. Before I spend hours doing this I was wondering if anyone else had done something similar??? If not, once I have done it I will put it on here for the rest of you!!

Thanks!

P.S. I think I may have accidentally also posted this under ICT. Oops, I am still new to this!

Thanks for your help everyone. Some really useful stuff on the websites and I have ordered the Featherstone book.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)