Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Importance Of Play!

xD hi we all know about the importance of play and how children learn through play, however in my assignment i need some arguments against play :o

if anyone has any good quotes or websites please let me know. :(

Thanks in advance

miniB

Hi I'm surprised at that as it is such a strong ey ethos but suppose you have to give a balanced argument and show that you can be critical so what about types of play? e.g. montessori didn't rate imaginative play... or different approaches to play in that some settings/theories/approaches value or prioritise certain types of play...

i think one of the old governement curriculum reviews didn't appreciate learning through play but can't remember which one for definate sorry...

have you got book Janet Moyles excellence of play?- that may offer some perspectives and arguments for/against play

hope that helps or at least gives you something to help your thinking

Hi I'm surprised at that as it is such a strong ey ethos but suppose you have to give a balanced argument and show that you can be critical so what about types of play? e.g. montessori didn't rate imaginative play... or different approaches to play in that some settings/theories/approaches value or prioritise certain types of play...

i think one of the old governement curriculum reviews didn't appreciate learning through play but can't remember which one for definate sorry...

have you got book Janet Moyles excellence of play?- that may offer some perspectives and arguments for/against play

hope that helps or at least gives you something to help your thinking

hi thanks for to you both,

some good ideas,

:o

HI ...

I'm currently studying B.F. Skinner and Behaviourist theory.

There's lots there about rote learning, heavily structured & planned activities governed by the practitioner.

Little opportunity for learning through play?

Probably the Desirable Learning Outcomes document which mentioned 'play' once or some other silly number of times, I believe!

Maz

Hi

Extracts from my literature review re. negatives in relation to play. I hope you find these quotes useful. Good luck. I'm so glad I have finished study for this year! :o

However, play has its critics. Studies by Bennett et al (cited in Riley, 2007) found that ‘play activities can be low in intellectual challenge and often repetitive and time wasting for children, particularly in Key Stage 1.’ (p.xxii) Riley (2007) suggests that this could be because ‘infant teachers have an idealized, somewhat sentimental view of play, considering it to have educational validity at all times and in all circumstances but without a clear sense of how or why’. (p.xxii) Riley (2007) further suggests that some teachers under exploit its learning potential. Schrader (cited in Campbell, 1998) also found this and asserts that teachers do not fully understand how they can effectively use play in their classrooms.

Another apparent problem with play is that it is used ‘as a carrot in order to encourage children to finish the possibly less inspiring and motivating tasks set by the teacher’. (Fisher, 2002 p.117) Fisher (2002) also asserts that play is also seen as ‘valuable in keeping children out of the teacher’s hair while she or he completes the designated teaching tasks.’

Hi

Extracts from my literature review re. negatives in relation to play. I hope you find these quotes useful. Good luck. I'm so glad I have finished study for this year! xD

However, play has its critics. Studies by Bennett et al (cited in Riley, 2007) found that ‘play activities can be low in intellectual challenge and often repetitive and time wasting for children, particularly in Key Stage 1.’ (p.xxii) Riley (2007) suggests that this could be because ‘infant teachers have an idealized, somewhat sentimental view of play, considering it to have educational validity at all times and in all circumstances but without a clear sense of how or why’. (p.xxii) Riley (2007) further suggests that some teachers under exploit its learning potential. Schrader (cited in Campbell, 1998) also found this and asserts that teachers do not fully understand how they can effectively use play in their classrooms.

Another apparent problem with play is that it is used ‘as a carrot in order to encourage children to finish the possibly less inspiring and motivating tasks set by the teacher’. (Fisher, 2002 p.117) Fisher (2002) also asserts that play is also seen as ‘valuable in keeping children out of the teacher’s hair while she or he completes the designated teaching tasks.’

Thankyou all for your great quotes and help.... really appreciated :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)