Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tyres

I have been trying to get tyres to put in our garden for ages, after hearing what a wonderful resource they are.... now i have just been given a tractor tyre, two truck tyres and some car tyres :) but i am not quite sure what to do with them!! :o

We are a private day nursery with a large garden, we have a climbing frame and swings in one area, a small concrete patch and all the rest is grass.

I would be very grateful of any ideas or tips anyone may have.

Thank you in anticipation :D

When my boys were little they had great fun in a tractor tyre sand pit!! Live out in the sticks and a local farmer gave it to me. Just choose the space and fill with sand. May even be an idea for the truck tyres, quite little ones who may be wary of a large group. I have seen large tyres cut in half and well secured in the ground to make a tunnel to crawl through, can't think of anything else at the momet! :o

A few more ideas:

The children love to stand on the tyre rim and practise their balancing.

They also use them a bit like nests, to sit in!

The tread of the tyre is great for taking prints or rubbings from.

If you bring some chairs outside and have enough tyres to be wheels you can make a bus (lends itself nicely to mathematical activities with the children).

Any use?

Children in our playground move ours around in problem solving actvities and imaginative play (Stones in a swamp full of crocodiles is a favourite!) We sometimes team ours with planks of wood to create bridges etc :D

Some of my chldren like holding hands and walking round the tractor tyre we have. They also like playing circle games such as Ring a ring of roses.

The children also practic jumping from one side to the other of the tyre.

Our tractor tyre is on the grass, and children sometimes sit and chat in it. Children also dig in the middle of it.

We have a couple of smaller tyres that the children love rolling about the playground. This works really well when it has been snowing, as the children get to see the tyre prints in the snow.

Another alternnative is to get the children to 'paint' the edge of the tyre with water, then roll it so see the print that it will make.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)