Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Calming Ideas

My class are, for a number of reasons, at a point at the moment where they are really over-excited, silly, lacking focus, have started hurting one another, not looking after things, boisterous boys bursting into tears at the drop of a hat.... you get the picture. Fortunately, I am at a point where the contributing factors to this have come to an end and next week I will be working my socks off to get them back to where we were. My feeling is that they need to slow down and take some time out to calm down so they can remember what our rules, expectations, boundaries etc are. I've done a couple of good claming things with them this week which have been successful, like pretending we're blowing bubbles gently, unscrewing the lid, putting it down, pulling out the blowing stick(?!) and blowing gently and slowly to get lots of pretend bubbles, also listening to calming music, drawing while listening etc.

Wondered if anyone had any good ideas for calming sessions / meditation type things?

It sounds like you've got some lovely ideas there :o

I may use the bubbles one next week.

Mine like sitting in a circle but one behind the other and then following instructions to draw something on each others back. They seem to find the tactile side of things calming.

Edited by SP61HJ

We enjoy building imaginary snowmen. I notice that it has 'snowed' and begin to gather the 'snow' into a big ball. It goes on from there and we dress with all sorts of imaginary clothes and accessories. We even take pictures with imaginary cameras.

Playinh ' hear with my little ear' outside is good because you have to sit quietly and listen.

relax kids do some good cds.... they have meditations and stories on.... we use them successfully with our reception class.

I get emails from them and am very tempted but which ones do you recommend Lorna? What is appropriate for year 1?

Maybe some yoga...breathing exercises and some Dharana style Mandala colouring sheets that can help relax and bring children back to focus....or how about some yoga stories - you can get some really good cds to listen to...or some Yoga Pretzel card poses will help to encourage children to become centred and less hyper? Good luck...only six weeks to go! xD:o:(:(

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say I am VERY glad to hear it is not my class that are a bit wild, overexcited and hurting each other emmajess - its sort or reassuring!! I think i may invest in the relax kids cds as I too keep getting emails from them. :o

I just wanted to say I am VERY glad to hear it is not my class that are a bit wild, overexcited and hurting each other emmajess - its sort or reassuring!! I think i may invest in the relax kids cds as I too keep getting emails from them. :o

I was explaining it to myself - logically it makes sense, but to be honest, I was a bit worried it was just me! Phew! xD

Sorry, I read it as 'not just my class' - I hope that was what you meant.... (In a very selfish way, sorry!)

...and it's definitely not just your class!

My Y2s are turning into teenagers, Y1 are starting to get "we're going to be the oldest" itis, and the current YR keep falling asleep on me :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)