Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Profile Point Scores

Hi there, I am just adding up my fsp points for each child. I was told that the gradings were too high or unrealistic for the country average and wonder if there is a specific 'average' score in different counties. With the total being 117 the majority of children are achieving between 85 to 90 points. Am I marking too strictly? I would appreciate any advice on this area. Thanks :o

Edited by Guest

It really depends on your cohort. I have found that sort of score to be realistic for the area I teach in for my higher attainers with much lower scores for those who are struggling.

I@ve got some release time today so I'll have a look at mine and let you know later, if that's any help?!?!

Sam x

I was told that an average score of 6 for each component was the expectation. My scores are similar to yours and have been in previous years. Last year we had a brilliant cohort with 11 scoring well over 100. Now in Year 1 they continue to be gifted.

Hope that helps?

I find it tricky doing the assessments as 80% of each scale point must be self initiated or they can't be given the scale point. My moderator was very strict and didn't want to see any evidence that wasn't self initiated, she even said that if you mention key words to the children about what you're observing then it's not acceptable as evidence. Anyone else find it difficult?

I find it tricky doing the assessments as 80% of each scale point must be self initiated or they can't be given the scale point. My moderator was very strict and didn't want to see any evidence that wasn't self initiated, she even said that if you mention key words to the children about what you're observing then it's not acceptable as evidence. Anyone else find it difficult?

I think it completely unrealistic. In a 'perfect' world where you had adults all observing every child all the time you might get evidence for all the points but a teacher and a TA cannot practically assess all these points. Some are much more easily done by an adult directed task. You could spend all year waiting for a child to order numbers to 10 or talk about how they feel after exercising... As I said to my moderator last week, if I had a choice between planning the environment or sticking evidence in learning journals I know how I'd spend my time.

I think it completely unrealistic. In a 'perfect' world where you had adults all observing every child all the time you might get evidence for all the points but a teacher and a TA cannot practically assess all these points. Some are much more easily done by an adult directed task. You could spend all year waiting for a child to order numbers to 10 or talk about how they feel after exercising... As I said to my moderator last week, if I had a choice between planning the environment or sticking evidence in learning journals I know how I'd spend my time.

We talked to our EYAT about this when he was doing a staff meeting for us. He told us that we should not be getting evidence for each profile point as that could be up to 117 pieces of evidence for every child and that would be ridiclous - the evidence that should be collected are for those wow moments. I also think having time to do 5 minutes focussed observations on a child can be very beneficial and bring in several areas of the EYFS. I'm just not sure how often yet. I do agree though that some points you would never observe unless done through teacher directed activities and that should be okay. There is a difference between observing something that has been spoon fed and setting up an activity to discover what the child can do.

Guest tinkerbell

dori

My scores are also high and they usually are.We are a small village school with an intake of 15 children.Ofsted said the scores were v high and agreed with me and the moderators (2 weeks ago ) also agreed with me.The children continue to work well throughout school.

Hammered

I told the moderators as i do a daily phonics session with each group i know what the children can do,I also hear them read so know them very well...so forget the 80% child initiated....I know from my teaching which I am required to do what the children are capable of!!!!!

Tinkerbellxx

Hi there, I am just adding up my fsp points for each child. I was told that the gradings were too high or unrealistic for the country average and wonder if there is a specific 'average' score in different counties. With the total being 117 the majority of children are achieving between 85 to 90 points. Am I marking too strictly? I would appreciate any advice on this area. Thanks :o

My average is 76. 2(11%) 40+, 1(6%) 50+, 2(11%)-60+, 2(11%)-70+, 3(18%)-80+, 4(24%)-90+, 3(18%)-100+

Raw figures like this don't help with planning next steps but can give Heads a rough idea of where the cohort are at this stage in the year and show the wide range of current attainment. I still am not sure why scores have to be sent of to the LA with 5 weeks to go!

My average is 76. 2(11%) 40+, 1(6%) 50+, 2(11%)-60+, 2(11%)-70+, 3(18%)-80+, 4(24%)-90+, 3(18%)-100+

Raw figures like this don't help with planning next steps but can give Heads a rough idea of where the cohort are at this stage in the year and show the wide range of current attainment. I still am not sure why scores have to be sent of to the LA with 5 weeks to go!

I too am wondering why our scores need to be in by this Friday! It doesn't make sense to me.

Probably because the national deadline (set annually in the ARA) is 26th june in line with KS1 asessments deadline and the LA has to also quality assure the data before the submission to QCA/DCSF. Local deadlines are upto your LA or setting - many of ours have the data in before our deadline too. Cx

if I had a choice between planning the environment or sticking evidence in learning journals I know how I'd spend my time

Totally agree!

When I taught in Reception I was also advised that it was not necessary or indeed possible for us to collect evidence against every different point scale for every children. We were told to note the wow moments and then keep an class/foundation stage evidence file - I printed off each profile point on separate A4 pieces of paper (yes lots of paper and ink!!!) and put them in plastic wallets. As I went through the year a put a few bits of evidence in each plastic to show what my judgements were. These pieces of evidence were a mixture of short obs, long obs, annotated 'work' and annotated photos.

Moderators were very happy with this as it showed the sorts of things that I was looking for against each point - I was therefore 'trusted' to make correct teacher assessments.

Green Hippo xx

i was told a GLA is a score of 6 in each area. Does anyone know how yo send your info? this is my first year and i dot know how to get it from my eye profile to be sent?

When I taught in Reception I was also advised that it was not necessary or indeed possible for us to collect evidence against every different point scale for every children. We were told to note the wow moments and then keep an class/foundation stage evidence file - I printed off each profile point on separate A4 pieces of paper (yes lots of paper and ink!!!) and put them in plastic wallets. As I went through the year a put a few bits of evidence in each plastic to show what my judgements were. These pieces of evidence were a mixture of short obs, long obs, annotated 'work' and annotated photos.

Moderators were very happy with this as it showed the sorts of things that I was looking for against each point - I was therefore 'trusted' to make correct teacher assessments.

Green Hippo xx

I was at the Early Excellence conference yesterday and Di Chilvers said there was no need to have huge files of evidence (echoing what Jan Dubiel said last year) I'm going to trial her PLODs planning next week which she suggested could also be used to record "evidence".

We have been collecting wow moments since september and putting into learning journeys and on just the wow moments alone we have enough evidence to judge where the children are.

Wow moments do not always come from what a child does on it's own but though sustained shared learning of a child led activity. ( playing with the child and joining in basically) We find that by only recording wow moments we do not record anything that a child has already been noted to have achieved previously. But the wow moments become regular enough to know a childcan be said to have achieved that statement.

One wow moment may contribute to many areas just need to know your DM statements and ELG's inside out. Much easier for teachers than TA's who are also ment to be observing and recording.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)