Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Linguistics 'game'!

Gezabel

My son attended a linguistics lecture on Monday and was given this to solve. It completely baffled me but thought you may like to try!

He was given the word GHOTI ( no typing errors!!!) and told that by playing around with the sounds of letters, either individually or together he should be able to 'read' it as a well known word!!

I asked him for some clues! and was told the answer has four letters and to find it you look at GHOTI and think what sounds these letters give when used in other words, then take those sounds and put them together to make the required word!!

I confess to not succeeding :o so if it drives you mad and you want the answer I will post it but just thought you may have fun trying to solve it!! Oh! the complexities of the English language!!!! :D

I have come across this before and know the answer. Grammatically it can't happen though because the sounds are usually made in conjunction with other letters and not by themselves. (If you know what I mean! :D ) Having had a dyslexic son I already have an axe to grind with the written English language!! :D

Yes I know exactly what you mean :D I suppose that's what the lecturer meant when he said they were used individually or together in other words. I never would have worked it out I dont think. Even when my son explained it I had to think about it!!

I too have an axe to grind with our wonderful language, both written and spoken. My personal hate is 'gunner' instead of 'going to' but there are many more!!! :D

Oooh! Well done!!!!

The explanation is:

GH gives the sound 'f' as found in the end of the word enouGH

O gives the sound 'i' as found in the word wOmen

TI gives the sound 'sh' as in the 'ti' of the word emoTIon

Think that's it!!!!! all clever stuff!