Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

September

Okay, we have healthy numbers for september and are offering a day of 840 to 310 with core hours of 940 - 1140 and 1240 - 1440. Lunch club is 1140 - 1210 and can be included as part of the 15 hours.

We currently have 44 children registered just for preschool and can accomadate a maximum of 11 more children.

This year we have ultimately had 43 children and have struggled to keep up with their files; How on earth are we going to cope with a potential 55 childrens' files?

Does anyone have any ideas?

I have proposed the introduction of a netbook for obs to decrease the number of hours spent outside work hours writing up obs onto learning journeys; I'd like all staff to have the opportunity each day to record at least 3 valuable obs for files on the netbook.

I'm concerned that the majority of the sessions will have children coming and going for the first and last hour meaning play will need to be disrupted for group activities such as pe, singing, circle time etc.

I'm sure it will all work out in the end but at this moment in time all I can visualise is disruption of children engaged in activities and staff managing the gate, the entrance, ensuring children are clocked in and out. How is this going to work whilst keeping within ratios? We would have 3 staff for 20 children. We have a beautiful purpose built setting and operate freeflow to the garden currently for almost 2 hours out of our 2 1/2 hour sessions; we offer rolling snack which works brilliantly. I love our registrationin/out time - perfect for learning each others names, the days of the week, show and tell, news; how are we going to fit this in?

Is there anyone who has found this working successfully? If so, can you give me any tips please?

thanks

Sam :o

Sorry i can't give any advice but i'm also in the same position as you as we are offering flexible care in a church building, so have to set up and put away every day......from september... i'm not sure how its going to work.... at the moment i'm trying to sort out staff rota's, registers and how its all going to work.... just hoping it all comes together... good luck with yours...

Good luck with yours too.

Maintaining adequate finances is going to be the biggest challenge I think. when someone decides they want to arrive at 940 and leave at 1140 it stuffs up anyone elses chances of using the full 3 hours and the knock on effect of that is less income but a longer day therefore hgher wages.

I wonder if the powers that be thought about this when devising their little plan.

Maybe they were the same people who thought it'd be great for all children to have a 32 page document for thier files to go on withthem to school. Or is that just my ridiculous LA?

Well I'm not surprsed you are struggling with 32 page documents each-think that may just be your LA,ours dont, it's just a three page document. I'm sorry I dont have any advice for you- but can I ask is your LA offerring 3 or 2.5 hours funding? \either way, why are your core hours only 2? Our children are still only funded for 2.5 hours but we are open for 3, we just charge for the additional time we are open. Make it quite clear in or T&C forms that they are not obilged to stay & pay for the additonal time but every one always has.

The other expense we have had is that our insurance doubles in price.. it was £96 - it will go up to £245.... big jump!!!

Well I'm not surprsed you are struggling with 32 page documents each-think that may just be your LA,ours dont, it's just a three page document. I'm sorry I dont have any advice for you- but can I ask is your LA offerring 3 or 2.5 hours funding? \either way, why are your core hours only 2? Our children are still only funded for 2.5 hours but we are open for 3, we just charge for the additional time we are open. Make it quite clear in or T&C forms that they are not obilged to stay & pay for the additonal time but every one always has.

We offer core hours of 2 because we are starting the 15 flexible hours extended provision and felt we needed to have some stability for all invovled (not least the staff)

Guest MaryEMac

We are also trying to get our heads round paperwork for the flexible hours. We will be opening from 9-3 on 4 days. Cut off time for morning arrivals will be 10 o'clock. Lunch will be between 12 and 12.30 and I think that the cut off time for afternoon arrivals will be 1 o'clock.

It will be how to keep accurate records for how many children are in and what staffing we will need. It also needs to be in a manageable format. I can't actually visualise this at the moment.

We are going to use those 32 page documents but 1, the school don't particularly like them, and 2, we will still have to produce something for the parents to take home so it will be almost twice the work.

I am thinking that the hardest part of the flexible hours will be explaining it to the parents and helping them to grasp it, ( it took ages for the staff to get it !!).

Good luck with it Sam and keep in touch.

Mary

We could make a stand you know Mary and say no, we won't do the L & D files, especially as the school i've spoken to said they won't even have the time to read so much stuff. I'm so tempted. I'm going to a meeting next friday with our local childrens centre and have a few questions for them.

I'll let you know the outcome!

Sam

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)