Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dance

I use dance baskets with the children.

It doesn't have to be a basket could be a tray or object covered with fabric etc.

I do the warm up in a circle... starting sitting down, moving hands then arms, them standing hands, arms feet, whole body etc.

In the basket or bag is something relating to topic... e.g we did Little Miss Muffet so put a spider in the bag and then moved like a spide, talked about what spiders do, span webs, worked in pairs so one child was the spider the other a fly.

I have also used ribbons, feathers, pictures e.g. soilder- relating to Grand old Duke of york.

I have also used it to a story where the children take different roles..

I much prefer teaching damce this way as it gives a clear focus.

Hope this is helpful

L

I was on a course last week which included ideas for dance. After reading The Rainbow Fish, let the children have chiffon scarves or ribbons. Divide the group in half, one to be fish and the other seaweed. Play The Aquarium from The Carnival of the Animals by Saint Saens and point out how the music changes. In the first part the fish move around waving their scarves or ribbons. Then they stop when the music changes and the seawed moves and so on. Hope that makes sense.

Anita

Guest Sycamore

Our school uses the Val Sabin scheme. We have it for Dance and Games and Gymnastics throughout the FS and KS1. I like it and it is easy to follow. Look on Val Sabin website.

we use some of the bbc's 'Lets move' cd's. Great one on Divali. and a winter theme one. Easy Peasy to follow and the kids love it :D It comes with the cassette as well as the CD and a teachers handbook although we've found we don't need it.

We have just started using the Sticky Kids CD. I saw a review on the forum and bought it and it has been a very good investment. The childrem are active and enjoy it!

Hi Chris

Val Sabin publications can be found here.

I don't think there is an actual review on the site for the Sticky Kids tapes and CDs, just some discussion. We use them a lot and the children love them. They are very simple exercises to music. Their website is here.

Hope this helps.

Linda

this may not be any help for use at school but some may be able to use it ... look at cbeebies channel , boogie beebies I think it is at 11.40 every morning and repeated later in the day at 3.40. they do a dance /movement and music session for this age only lasts a short while has warm up & warm down. Large range of topics , a differtn one each week. (so far diggers, kangaroo, underwater. shopping, football etc.)

Inge

I have also used Let's Go Zudie-o (that piece is my favourite) by Helen MacGregor and Bobbies Gargrave (AC BlaclK). Varied music and suggests other curricular links, especially creating their own music for dance. The activities for 'In the Garden' fit in beautifully for a topic on minibeats and the CD also contains clips to stimulate ideas. I have also used High Low Dolly pepper adapting the ideas for FS as it is aimed at Key Stage 1.

I recently watched another teacher lead a dance session with my class, discussing ideas and recording them with symbols on the theme of fireworks. After developing their ideas and practising their movements to music they then performed their dance to another class during their 'PE time'.

It was great to watch the process of develping their ideas and then for the children to have some awareness of dance as a performance. The younger children were then invited to join the dance after watching the older chilren.

Lisa E

I love "The Little Book of Dance" from Featherstone publications. It is really detailed with lots of ideas - many transferrable into Y1 and 2. A very good buy at under £7.00! :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)