Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Somalian Resources?

I have a child in my class who is from Somalia. She is growing in confidence and it is clear there is quite a lot of intellect (for our school) hiding behind a huge physical disability and a lack of confidence.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any basic resources that are in Somalian or a how to speak basic Somali so I can try and say some words to her in somali as I think she will appreciate it.

Thanks

Hi Nichola

Can you not get her parents tell you some?,

I did this for a Polish child i had in my care, i made a list of words i wanted to know, asked her mum and as she told me i wrote them down as they sounded to be able to remember them. It worked wonders and she suddenly went from being a quite introverted child to interacting with the staff and childrenand becoming a very outgoing happy child She learnt english very quickly allbeit with a slight essex accent...oops!

Alternatively look online for somali translation sites there must be one some even give you the intonations too.

Good luck

Niki x

Parents speak very little English. I have her review coming up after half term and we will have translators in so they can understand us. Also because it is a special school, we don't see them as she comes to school on a minibus.

Parents speak very little English. I have her review coming up after half term and we will have translators in so they can understand us. Also because it is a special school, we don't see them as she comes to school on a minibus.

Hi, have you tried the Talking Pen?

Hi, have you tried the Talking Pen?

Have you used Language of the month website? There are lots of different languages including Somali - key words and phrases are given and there are clips of chn saying the different words

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)