Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mobile Toy Library

I have been appointed as the Toy library manager for my children centre, along side my outreach role.

Just wondering if there is anyone else out there who is managing or working in a toy library, especially a mobile one.

I have received a great amount of information from NATLL which I am sifting through and thought that maybe other FSF members may be able to give me any words of advice that they had wished they had known before starting.

Also their best loaned toys/equipment and the least used toys/equipment

Sam

As a setting who used to use the mobile toy library, we used to love the wooden activity cube. :o

You opened it up and the children sat in it, it became so many things. We also loved the wooden stepping stone beam. However, these were very popular items and you had to order them months in advance :(

Like previous post - puzzles were of little interest to us as we had a cupboard full of them xD . We were interested in the larger items that we possibly wanted to test drive before thinking of buying. We also had limited storage space, so a large item that we could keep for a month was OK, but would not have 'full time' space normally.

Sometimes items that we requested weren't available, so were replaced with other items, which we didn't really want, but felt that as the effort had been made to find an alternative, that we should accept it. My suggestion would be that you contact the people in this instance and say that item XX is not available would you like something else? rather than just giving them something.

Hope that makes sense!

I used a toy library a lot, while not mobile it was very useful.

We liked the story sacks as it allowed us to have several different ones for a short time

larger items, children loved a parachute ball, and also one of the pilates exercise balls which was lent out with a pump so it could be deflated for storage.

pop up tents,

wooden steering wheels

and ours had a badge maker which we cold borrow and buy the badges from them in bags of 50 to make them. They sold them at cost price and this was very useful and had to always be pre booked, everyone wanted it and many used it for fund-raising.

Inge

Thanks Ladies

I'll take on broad your ideas and suggests for improving the service.

I will keep you posted as it get's closer to going mobile!!!!

Sam

Hi Sam Croydon PLSA have a really good mobile toy library. Maybe contact the Manager Terrie Martyn on 0208 726 7782.

What about multi-cultural items?

If you go to www.star4diversity.org.uk (sorry don't know how to do a link) they have a brilliant website. They run a multi-cultural toy library. The website shows lots of the items they have to borrow and may give you really good ideas.

Gruffalo2 :o

actually must agree with that ours was always being asked for dolls and found reaonable priced ones hard to find... as they were so well used... we had one which staff said smelt funny bt it was only because it was scented using the pomades the families used at home, the children from those cultures loved them and used ot hug them all the time.

and their dress up box of multicultural clothes was popular...

Inge

Hi

In a previous setting we used the toy libary at the local childrens centre and they had some fab treasure and discovery baskets that the children loved.

We also liked the range of sit and ride toys plus babay walkers etc.

I found it fasinating that the staff would select resources and get really excited but the children didnt think the same so for us it was a good way to try out toys before we brought them.

I have now moved to Lincoln ( just finding my way around) and can only find one toy libary of which they charge for membership and to hire out the toys as well. If anybody else knows of any more in the area can you let me know.

Thanks blue

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your suggestions.

I made treasure baskets for my family baby group and that was the first thing they said they would like to see in the toy library. Yes Multi-cutural toys will be on there, I have acompany called faith which supply some fab toys and books.

For those of you who use a toy library at your setting. Is there a hire charge/membership charge for this use?

we paid an annual membership fee... for us it was £20.00 per year.. this was same for all

and we were able to have 3 toys at a time for up to 6 weeks at a time, longer if we had a specific need..

for example we had a child on the autistic spectrum and were able to have one toy particular the whole time she was with us

there were no worries about losing bits, they just said let us know when you return it if there is something missing so they could try and replace it, we lost a ball to a game once and they did not charge or worry about it. When it turned up we took it in, by which time they had found a replacement so now had a spare!

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)