Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Airport Role-play....

Hi,

After half term the role play area is going to become an airport (indoors), I was just wondering if anyone could help me as it's my first time planning for an area of enhanced provision (Im a student at uni on my 7 week block placement). Also outside the practitioner wants it to be 'loosely under the sea' theme running alongside the airport thing, any ideas/suggestions on either of these would be of great help.

Thank you

Personally i would have a check in desk - children can make passports, fill in tickets etc.... If you can get scales you could do the baggage bit as well. You could also set up a scanner thing and use metal detectors if you have any. Just a few random thoughts.

mayb a map to decide where they want to go in holiday, it could link quite well to outside if the holiday destination has a beach!!

airline tickets, stamps for passports, still thinking!

x

Yes the children love stampers - even if that's not real life anymore at the airport. We numbered the seats and gave the children ticket/boarding cards with corresponding numbers. We also had an old fashioned tea trolley, and when the chairs were set up for the airplane, the children would put play food etc. on the trolley and walk down the aisle with it. We put up all sorts of posters for the passengers to look at "out of the windows". Outside you could put postcards for the children to write home from their holiday - we have an enormous amount of old postcards, we have used them for all sorts of things, each time there is a new issue of postage stamps they also sell postcards with the same images on them at the post office, these can be very informative, or used for sorting etc. We also let the children write on the back of them and send them to each other.

There are some great ideas for both airport and under the sea on sparklebox. Templates for passports, labels for check in desk etc.

We've just done this! One of our parents is a stewardess so came in in uniform and they did the whole routine, barring the oxygen!

Our children have implemented packing up the dressing up clothes, for their holiday, made binoculars, passports (and from this came an activity where they were partnered up and asked to choose a face of the right skin colour, wool, etc and do the face of the person opposite them) They've had cameras, pretended to go to different countries, we provided holiday brochures, leaflets; had a ticket office.. Can't think what else. Will post more when I do!

Sam

AMongst other things we had lots of signs including gate numbers with arrows for direction. We had these in three different languages.

The favourite bit with the children was the conveyor belt! we put some tables together and then used a piece of towelling we had stitched together ( a bit like those roller towels) we looped it round the tables and the children loved 'operating it' to move the bags along. We used a variety of back packs etc for luggage.

We had a shopping trolley full with food and drink from the home corner for the air hostesses to use on board. We also had a working microphone for the captain.

The children made their own plane by rearranging chairs and they 'flew' to many different countries. One 'trip' to India was particularly memorable and everyone dressed up ( I actually didn't look too bad in a Sari!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)