Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Designated Person Cp

:o

Hi all

Just got back from some very good 2 day CP training. Our trainer was thorough, the info was bang up to date. Much, much better than the 1/2 day we used to get. I think us early years practitioners are finally getting recognised as professionals!! Hooray!

Sam

I think us early years practitioners are finally getting recognised as professionals!! Hooray!

Sam

I agree Sam!

I think ours was only one day (as opposed to a morning or afternoon, I mean!) but it was very thorough and enabled us to consider "what if" and get some really good advice and support.

The message was that we as early years practitioners are in the forefront of safeguarding children, and the role of designated child protection person is key in ensuring our groups know what to do should we suspect that the worst is happening to one of the children we care for.

Maz

Hi

It seems I am now the designated person in our setting and I've done only basic CP through an 'educare' distance learning course. We are planning to get all staff on a classroom based course asap of course but what exactly am I supposed to do when they come to me with any concerns? Is it simply a matter of recording and if necessary seeking additional advice from and taking concerns to Childrens social care ?

Have any designated persons done any specific training for that role?

I'm really not confident being in this position at all. :o

I'm really not confident being in this position at all. xD

How have you managed to become the designated person then? Did everyone else in the line take a step backwards and leave you 'volunteering' out in front? :o

I would speak to your boss about getting some training - and yours will need to be more in depth than your other staff members will need because as you say, they will be bringing any concerns to you. Our Borough has run a couple of designated person training sessions now, so perhaps your Local Authority does too. I'd ring up and ask!

Maz

In our LA we often find out about courses better by calling the LSCB directly. We have a specific designated persons course for that role too.

Hi

It seems I am now the designated person in our setting and I've done only basic CP through an 'educare' distance learning course. We are planning to get all staff on a classroom based course asap of course but what exactly am I supposed to do when they come to me with any concerns? Is it simply a matter of recording and if necessary seeking additional advice from and taking concerns to Childrens social care ?

Have any designated persons done any specific training for that role?

I'm really not confident being in this position at all. :o

Do you have access to a training booklet for your area? Do you have an advisor for your setting?

The training I did over the last 2 days was designated person (DP) training and I am an additional DP because our setting DP only works 4 mornings maximum. Its best practice to have CP officer on duty at all times.

You need to tell your boss you're unhappy.

sam

Well my 'boss' is the committee and they don't really have any input...we've not had a 'designated person' and if I told them they'd say to just choose someone and that'd be down to me anyway.

We only have three staff, one is part time and I guess as supervisor I've always been unofficially in that position but we are renewing policies and someones name is going to have to go down on it and I can't see how it'll end up being anyone else but me.

It's just that on all the literature I've read and websites it says to take concerns to the 'designated person'.... and it makes it seem as if that person will have all the answers and its all down to them in the end...thats what I dont feel comfortable with.

I guess its the fact that I'm the 'last point of call' in the setting and just the whole thing about having to confront those difficult issues. No body wants to do that of course but will what I do be the right thing?

I'll definitely have to speak to our advisor about DP training.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)