Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Upside Down Letters And Pictures

A little boy in my class has been writing letters upside down for a while. Last week he drew a picture of a caslte and it was upside down, however when we turned it round it was perfect! Then this week whilst on the computer drawing a picture of his face he again drew it upside down. What can I do to help him??????? :o

I had a little girl who used to so this.

Turned out her uncle used to sit opposite her and draw and write with her, so even though she was seeing it the right way up she was also seeing it done upside down, if that makes sense!

She did get out of it, eventually, especially after speaking to her uncle.

jackie.

Ive had this a few times and it usually sorts itself out. Have you actually watched this little boy drawing or just looked at the end result? Last time I had this, when I sat and watched the creative process in action, the child started drawing at the bottom of the paper and worked their way up the paper.

Maybe that some direct teaching is needed in the same way as we need to teach left to right flow for writing and reading, that the top and bottom of the paper needs to be identified ie placement of the object was wrong. We were taught many years ago not to cut out childrens drawings from the paper as part of the creation was the placement of the object in the space. (Not that I always pay attention to this!)

To support this you might also want to make sure that if you write his name on his picture everyone always puts the name at the top left hand corner. Its how we write in English, top to bottom, left to right.

Its one of those things that really irritate me! xD

:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)