Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Addition

Hello, Hope everyone is well?

I am looking for some new creative ideas on how to teach addition to my Reception Class. I seem to have exhausted the usual dominoes, throwing two dice etc.

If anybody has any ideas can they let me know?

Many thanks

Poppypig

In the pre-school room where I work sometimes we play simple team games where they score one or two points each and then they keep a tally of the whole team's score on their own whiteboard as they go along.

Edited by AlisonP

We've played a game where we put farm animals in two fields - 5 animals and 4 animals makes 9 animals etc..

We've also done it through problem solving - we were doing about magical eggs (their choice) we gave them problems to solve like "There are 3 alien eggs and 5 dinosaur eggs - how many altogether?"

We've also played a bus game about people getting on and off the bus.

We played a shopping game today where they were adding prices of two items.

We basically do anything that involves combining two or more groups but everything we do is in a context.

We've played a game where we put farm animals in two fields - 5 animals and 4 animals makes 9 animals etc..

We've also done it through problem solving - we were doing about magical eggs (their choice) we gave them problems to solve like "There are 3 alien eggs and 5 dinosaur eggs - how many altogether?"

We've also played a bus game about people getting on and off the bus.

We played a shopping game today where they were adding prices of two items.

We basically do anything that involves combining two or more groups but everything we do is in a context.

These activities are practical group activities for addition - the resources you use makes them practical. Another thought of one is if you have a car park for the cars - put some on each level - link to addition.

My lot quite like bead strings for adding - they select one colour and string some on and then select another colour and string some on - sometimes this is decided throwing a dice, and then we add them all together - as they get more adept at this I give them cards with number sentences on such as 4 + 3 but with the numbers in different colours relating to the beads ( the 4 might be red and the 3 blue) hope this makes sense?

Thanks Ems

Great idea i will use that one.

Trying to stretch my higher ability but not sure what is next step for them really?

We use hoops and bean bags - children play in pairs, taking turns to throw the bean bags - lots of discussion who has more/less, how many more one child has, how many they have altogether etc.

I've used Roamer and a number line in the past (blank number line which children filled in themselves - needs to be measured out accurately so Roamer moves one square with each number keyed in). Chn program Roamer to reach specified number, then have to program him to move onto another number, saying how many they need to key in! That doesn't sound very clear, but I think if you've used Roamer you'll know what I mean. I did this with my higher ability in the summer term a couple of years ago and they found it quite challenging.

You could possibly do something on number bonds to 10 - how many ways can you arrange the animals in two fields etc. How can you check you've found all the possible ways. I;m planning to do this this week.

One activity the chn in my class really enjoyed was getting the chn to stand in two hoops, we then looked at how many chn are in the red hoop, how many in the blue hoop, how many all together...

I then set a challenge for the group, I put a number card in each hoop and asked the chn to find that many objects for the hoop and then we added them.

We have some stepping stones we use in the outside area, we stuck numbers to them and used them as a numberline for the chn to jump along to do adding (you can also do this with number tiles)

How about linking activities to story books?

I did an activity last week in which we used Aliens love underpants. I got a piece of string to act as the washing line then read the story and the children came up and pegged different coloured and patterned underpants from the spare clothes box ( clean of course) to the line.

We then added them up and also subtracted them as a group!

The children loved it and even the younger children- 2yr olds, helped to count.

Good activity for all ages really,

Hope that helps xx

I've set up target practise outside with hoops and bean bags, the children then record the hits and misses and add up how many throws they have thrown altogether in the final column. There is some lovely training material that I think I saw as part of my moderators training for calculation, it is based on a similar theme but the class teacher has set up a horse trial and the children calculate laps with and without faults and then add the columns up. I guess this could be adpated as an assault course...

Also, we've been adding up insect legs in more of a doubling context.

Qx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)