Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parent Workshops

Hi there Im trying to offer parent workshops in our setting working with our Parent Support Advisor. Does any one ask parents what they want to come to or just organise them and invite them. I was thinking of giving them a questionnaire as to which one would benefit them most.

Like Phonic sessions

Play sessions

Storytelling sessions

Can anyone think of any more?

Sam

Hi there Im trying to offer parent workshops in our setting working with our Parent Support Advisor. Does any one ask parents what they want to come to or just organise them and invite them. I was thinking of giving them a questionnaire as to which one would benefit them most.

Like Phonic sessions

Play sessions

Storytelling sessions

Can anyone think of any more?

Sam

We have just run our first parent workshop, we decided to run it on fine motor skills as we felt it was an area which many of the children needed extra help and also thought that parents did not realise the importance of simple self help skills and fun activities that could be done at home.

We invited all parenst but had some focus parenst who we approached personally because we felt their child would especially benefit - 10 parents came, so we were really pleased. We made an info sheet, talked it through and put loads of items out for them to talk about, experiment with eg hole punches, paper tearing, whisks, playdough, plant sprayers etc

We are attempting our next one on Mark making next month and hope to follow a similar format, so any unusual ideas would be great.

Thakns that is really useful. Im an NQT so i really appreciate this. At any point did they go in to the classroom? Was thinking about this but would all the parents need to fill out the list 99? Or is this not a requirement?

I'm in a day nursery, we offer these, usually on a termly basis. Our first was around an early literacy project we were part of that had great success. I've done a numeracy one and we have asked parents for ideas - we've had all sorts!! Potty training, weaning, tantrums..... not many'educational' ones! I think this shows you definitely need to find out what parents specifically want.

Good luck!

Sue

With regard to safe supervision, you need to make a list of which parents are attending the workshop and then ensure that at no point at all during their time in the setting are they left alone with or near a child, other than their own, for even a minute- it can sometimes happen that you need to nip to the other room to get resources etc. Don't! have everything you need within reach or send a member of staff/ reliable parent to get whatever. Do not let parents take children to the bathroom or help with personal needs in any way. We usually start the session with a list of do's and don'ts then everyone knows where they stand.

Parent workshops are great fun for all concerned- good luck.

THanks for that. I have two parents that are fully crb checked and help out in our setting anyway. So no need to do list 99? We normally do for trips etc does this not apply? I know List 99 cant be left alone with them. Thanks again for helpful reply

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)